The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 8, 2009, 10:35 AM   #1
StratoCactus

Interference between ear muffs and eyewear

Does anyone know of a solution to the interference between over-the-ear muffs and the ear-pieces (aka temples) found on traditional eye glasses? For me, using eye protection with muffs creates two problems: discomfort where the muffs press the glasses frames into the temples; and reduced effectiveness of the hearing protection due to the compromised seal around the ear.

Does anybody make protective eyewear that has an elastic band in place of rigid ear-pieces ... yet doesn't look like swimmer's goggles or chemist's goggles? Alternatively, is there any eyewear that is designed to affix to the muffs rather than directly to the user's head?

I've tried tilting the glasses downward such that the temples ride somewhat up over the muffs. This avoids the interference but looks absurd and distorts the image. Worse, on one occasion my semi-auto scored a hail mary by ejecting a hot case in an upward arc where it fell into the large gap between my brow and glasses frame, came to rest against the skin just below my eye and caused a small burn. While my range partner found my panicked dance highly amusing, it was painful enough that I have retired this technique.
Old April 8, 2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Casimer

Have you tried classes w/ flexible stems?

e.g.

Old April 8, 2009, 03:27 PM   #3
ZeSpectre

I know you aren't a fan of the "sport goggle" type stuff but the 3M™ Protective Eyewear 1707-2AF eyewear is great.

I have also found that the more glasses-like 3M™ Protective Eyewear 1700/37103 has nice thin side panels that don't seem to push my muffs out as much. (Plus they are inexpensive and available in the paint section of wal-mart)
Old April 8, 2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Japle

Any good sunglasses that fit your face and have wire frames will do. Make sure they're rated for impact resistance.

Those thick plastic frames on commercial "safety glasses" really wreck the seal on muffs.
Old April 9, 2009, 10:01 PM   #5
StratoCactus

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the tips.
Old April 10, 2009, 12:51 AM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Another option is to upgrade the pads on your ear protection. I've had zero problem with getting a good seal since I got the (expensive) comfort gel pad upgrade for my hearing protection.
Old April 18, 2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Arkatect

I understand what you mean. For this reason I Switched to Ear Plugs. Very comfy and a better NRR.
Old April 18, 2009, 10:08 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...and a better NRR.
Kinda sorta... Yes, you get better attenuation of noise travelling down the ear canal. However, sound is also transmitted to some extent to the ear canal & inner ear via the bones around the ear canal. If you want to wear plugs, it's advisable to also wear muffs since they block more of the bone-transmitted sound.
Old April 18, 2009, 10:54 PM   #9
Lurch37

Ive wore glasses since I was 6 so I feel your pain. I use both the foam type ear plugs and ear muffs together.