The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2012, 04:34 PM   #1
markr

Lee Pro Auto Disk

I am thinking about getting the Pro Auto disk and rise. My question is wether or not it is possibleto get around buying the powder through expanding die. I already have other brands of expanding dies. Is it possible to do without buying another die, and just have a station that charges the case, seperately from expanding. It hard for me to tell without buying everything first, and there are no stores around with everything set up so I can look. Thanks.

Washed up 11B1P
Old February 28, 2012, 04:41 PM   #2
CrustyFN

You will need the Lee powder through expander die in order for the powder measure to be case activated.
Old February 28, 2012, 04:42 PM   #3
markr

Thanks.

Washed up 11B1P
Old February 28, 2012, 06:03 PM   #4
scsov509

Quote:
Is it possible to do without buying another die, and just have a station that charges the case, seperately from expanding?
Yes, Lee Rifle Charging Die is made for that purpose since you don't flare the case mouths on rifle rounds.
Old February 28, 2012, 07:38 PM   #5
CrustyFN

Quote:
Yes, Lee Rifle Charging Die [leeprecision.com] is made for that purpose since you don't flare the case mouths on rifle rounds.
He is wanting to use a different brand die with the pro auto disk, won't work as far as I know.
Old February 28, 2012, 09:13 PM   #6
scsov509

Quote:
He is wanting to use a different brand die with the pro auto disk, won't work as far as I know.
I read the post to say different branded dies, but still setting up the Auto-Disk at a station on a progressive press. If so, that's what the rifle charging die is for. It activates the Auto-Disk so that it can be used in 2-die rifle sets that don't contain a powder through expanding die. I use it with the Auto-Disk to charge 223, 243, and 30-30 and it works great. And while it's intended use is rifle cases, it'll work on some pistol cases that are long enough to activate the measure as well. So depending on what he's wanting to load, the rifle charging die might be an option that allows him to use non-Lee dies and still use the Auto-Disk system.
Old February 28, 2012, 09:34 PM   #7
markr

Yeah, I have RCBS dies for my pistol which includes an expander die. I wanted to use the auto disk without buying a powder though expander die since I already have an expander. I suppose I could have went the rifle charging die route. It doesn't matter because I just bit the bullet ordered the pro disk, riser, and powder through expander die, and since I will have an open station, I also got a FCD so I can seperate seating and crimping. I wasn't convinced before that seating and crimping in one operation was bad but what the hell. I was doing all my loading single stage so gettin er done in one shot was attractive. While I was on a roll buying stuff, I also ordered myself a classic cast turret press. So I will be looking forward to seeing the mailman in a few days!

Washed up 11B1P
Old February 28, 2012, 10:13 PM   #8
scsov509

Sounds like a good choice since, one way or another, you were going to have to get a new die (powder through expanding or rifle charging). Plus it's always good when you find more reasons to purchase stuff you "need".
Old February 28, 2012, 10:32 PM   #9
markr

I will probably end up getting the charging die to load rifle on it eventually. I almost assembled on my own by buying all that, the Lee Classic Cast Turret kit that they sell for 200 bucks or so, which I considered, but I didn't need the powder measure and scale, or manual it comes with.

Washed up 11B1P
Old February 28, 2012, 11:21 PM   #10
Lost Sheep

Where did you find that?

Where did you find a kit built around the Lee Classic Turret for $200 that includes a manual, scale and powder measure?

(Note that the Lee Classic Cast is a single stage press and the Lee Classic Turret is a Turret. Don't mix us up.)

Kempf's sells a kit for $200 built on the Classic Turret that includes dies, primer dispenser and powder measure, but has no manual or scale.

You COULD take an empty station, drop a funnel in it, and, when the case comes up and contacts the funnel, dump powder manually into the funnel.

Lost SHeep
Old February 29, 2012, 07:00 AM   #11
markr

I'm well aware of the differences. I know I threw in the word "Cast" where it doesn't go. I did get the Classic Turret. I think I got in that habit due the base and linkage being similar to the classic cast press. I know I saw the kit somewhere that included the manual....I will have to look when I am on a computer instead of phone.

I considered using a powder funnel but that takes away from the sexyness of going semi progressive.

Washed up 11B1P
Old February 29, 2012, 08:08 AM   #12
markr

Here you go, Classic Turret Press kit with Modern Reloading second edition for $209
http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-cl...rret-press-kit

I know most places sell the kit for similar amount of dough without the manual. This website also threw the word "Cast" into the title which probably contributed to me using it. This looks like a great deal except I didn't need the case prep tools, scale, and primer handling.

Washed up 11B1P

Last edited by markr; February 29, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old March 1, 2012, 03:31 PM   #13
markr

I also found a roller handle for the C
lassic Turret I ordered. (Still waiting on mailman!)

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 1, 2012, 06:34 PM   #14
CrustyFN

Quote:
I read the post to say different branded dies, but still setting up the Auto-Disk at a station on a progressive press. If so, that's what the rifle charging die is for. It activates the Auto-Disk so that it can be used in 2-die rifle sets that don't contain a powder through expanding die.
Yes I understand how the rifle charging die works, I have one. I didn't see any where the OP said he was reloading rifle and didn't think the rifle charging die would work with pistol. I know it won't flair the case on a pistol case so if it will work it doesn't seem like it will work very good.
Old March 1, 2012, 06:48 PM   #15
excelerater

I use the Auto Disc on my 550,whats easy for me is I can buy a dillon die set and a lee charging die and im good.....I prefer the discs over the usual crank and check method that dillon supplies
Old March 1, 2012, 07:32 PM   #16
markr

I don't know if anybody would find this useful, but a youtube video about the classic turret press featured a classic turret press with a roller handle. Well I thought that was the cats a$$ so I started looking. I found a whole bunch of upgrade kits to upgrade the pro 1000 and turret press, and all those sites state that the handle wont work on classic series presses. I did find a few aftermarket models selling for $50-$60. And then I found an obscure link to the support part of Lee's web site that tells you how to make the roller handle work on classic presses.

http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...series-presses

The roller handle itself is $20 and the sleeve is $4. So, $24 Compared to $55-$60. Not too shabby. I hope it works because I ordered the parts. If not, anybody wanna buy a roller handle?

Washed up 11B1P