The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 22, 2009, 09:54 PM   #1
mickeyhinesss

Help newbie with optics

Recently purchased an Armalite flat top 20 inch .308 and am looking to place optics on it primarily for medium ranging shooting. I am looking for an all in one type optics set up (I know I'm a dreamer) keeping in mind the gun has been purchased as a hedge against an apocolyptic/Mad Max type of situation. I may dabble in deer hunting and may have to if the above-mentioned scenario becomes reality. I have a .223 with an Acog unit attached. I would like a scope that delivers a little more magnification than that. (Or maybe I don't I don't know exactly) I'm no weapons expert so any advice would be appreciated.

Without pouring thousands into the optics can I get medium range optics and some type of iron site set up as well for 100 meters and in. I've seen these rifles with scopes on the rail and red dots on the side. That's too much money. Is there a way to get a scope (for longer range shots) and maybe an iron site system for short range. Or maybe a scope system that will handle the whole shoot-in-match.

I don't think I want to shell out Acog money for my next scope. Leupold and Nikon seem like they make good products. My trijicon scope is okay to.

In the early 40's people tilled victory gardens. Today I ran my MTD through a "bailout" garden.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:14 PM   #2
BMSMA

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I have had decent luck with the optics on my SKS. I greatly enjoy having the back-up iron sights that I it has.

I would definitely recommend looking into scope rings with backup iron sights (co-witness) if this is something that you think that you might like.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:15 PM   #3
zoomie

2-7x scope (~$250) in a LaRue mount (~$120). And if 2x is too much for your close range, Troy folding BUIS ($~260). Keep the BUIS folded down unless you need it. If you do, pop off the LaRue mount, flip up the BUIS, and you're in business.
Old April 29, 2009, 09:20 AM   #4
mickeyhinesss

Thanks all for the input.
Old April 29, 2009, 11:10 AM   #5
K472

I have had very good luck and am very satified with nikon optics.

Mine have been very clear and well made, plus the price is right.

I haven't used them on a 308 but have buckmaster 6-20's on a Savage 22-250 and an AR 15 .204 ruger. Love both scopes.

They were both < $300.00 and a lower power for your intended use will be less $$$

The Nikon Monarch wil be their premium line and will prob. still be in your price range.
Old April 29, 2009, 01:03 PM   #6
masterhunter

Nothing but Lupy's..............