The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 24, 2011, 02:02 AM   #1
Bill Akins

Pics & video of my BP shooting this weekend

This video has a few pics of my BP revolvers and one short video clip of them on my table along with my BP CVA mountain rifle and accessories. I'm the guy in the khaki shirt and pants, tall boots and brown stetson. In the pic of me taken from the rear, I'm holding my Auto Ordnance 1911 16 inch barrel with shoulder stock carbine. I can convert it back and forth from a pistol to a carbine just as long as I always put the long barrel on before the stock. In the video if you look in the background you can see me fanning my BP revolver. I had a blast.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video...99763970EUDPKj
"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old February 24, 2011, 10:50 AM   #2
ClemBert

I always enjoy a good fanning.

Did you know it is actually illegal in Florida to fan a revolver? Ain't that a pisser?
Old February 24, 2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Hardcase

Quote:
Did you know it is actually illegal in Florida to fan a revolver?
Wait, what?
Old February 25, 2011, 04:21 AM   #4
Bill Akins

Quote:
ClemBert wrote:
Did you know it is actually illegal in Florida to fan a revolver?
I didn't know that ClemBert. How did you find that out?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old February 25, 2011, 04:34 AM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
Did you know it is actually illegal in Florida to fan a revolver? Ain't that a pisser?
No it's not. Thats something that should never be done. Unless you just don't care anything for your gun.
Old February 25, 2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Only time I fan a revolver....

....is if it complains about being too hot.

:barf:
Old February 25, 2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Bill Akins

Actually as slowly as I was fanning my revolver, there was no more stress on my revolver's internals than if I just thumbed the trigger back at the same speed. Check my video again and you will see how slowly I was actually "fanning". Wasn't Clint Eastwood speed. But when I do enjoy fanning faster, I can fix or replace anything that breaks. I bought my guns to shoot the heck out of. I do just that and no doubt will have to replace a few parts as time goes along. Been that way with all the other BP revolvers I've had. I lessen the tension on my bolt/trigger spring to re-leave and put less stress on it and I haven't had any problems with cylinder over travel as a result. I know how to set it for adequate bolt drop tension. So my bolt/trigger spring likely lasts longer than someone's who doesn't lessen the tension on theirs. Fanning puts no stress on the trigger at all because it never engages the hammer because it is held down. If my hand/pawl becomes worn from rapid fanning, I can punch ping it longer or just replace it. No worries.

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 25, 2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old February 25, 2011, 09:48 AM   #8
ClemBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Akins
I didn't know that ClemBert. How did you find that out?
I came across it while reading the Florida Statutes concerning firearms. At the time I was researching the statutes with regard to discharging a firearm near a residence or the minimum distance. Unfortunately, the statutes don't give a reason why fanning is illegal.

p.s. Our statutes are different than in Mississississippippiiiiiyipee.