The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2008, 10:58 PM   #1
eagle1505

330 Dakota load??

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member here and looking forward to correspond with other gun nuts. Anyway, I have a question for my new reloading friends. I recently recieved my dream elk and other very large game rifle. It is a custom built FN mauser action with a Douglas air guage premium 24 inch compensated barrel. It is chambered in the 330 Dakota cartridge. I want to sling a 225 grain projectile at as close to 3000 fps as I can get. I am also curious about 200 grain projectile loads. I am partial to Accurate powders but I am open to whtever works the best. My first concern in my reloading is getting the most anally retentive tiny groups as humanly possible. Afterall I've never had a single game species i have harvested pick it's head up and ask me "Was that bullet going 2700 or 2800 feet per second?" I load about a dozen different calibers presently but always welcome the input of those with experience in a new venture (the best mistakes to learn from are someone else's). Also, FYI to all members, I own and operate a full service gun shop in southern Missouri area, so if i can be of service to anyone just let me know. Thanks to all and look forward to hearing from members.