The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 13, 2005, 12:25 PM   #1
roger1shot

Hand Gun Scope

Hey,
Just put a new 4X28 Leupold on my 44 Mag Super Red Hawk.
Haven't shot the gun yet.I've got some of those High Dollar 250 grain Nosler Partitions loaded with 20.5 of H110.
Now all I need is some time to shoot.
Have any of ya'll the same scope,if so what do ya'll think of the scope?
Old September 13, 2005, 01:20 PM   #2
LHB1

Roger,
I found the 4X pistol scope magnified wobble too much for offhand shooting and also had problems finding the target in the small field of view. For me, the 2X scope worked MUCH better and I have two S&W M629 Classics in .44 Mag wearing Leupold EER 2X scopes. Have killed two deer and two wild hogs with the scoped guns. When sighting in Gun A from rest at 75 yards with 250 grain cast bullets at 1425 fps, the 5 shot group typically measures 3" or less. When sighting in Gun B from rest at 50 yards with 210 grain cast bullets at 1100 fps, 5 shot groups run about 2".
If you can handle the magnification wobble and field of view with 4X pistol scope then go for it.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old September 13, 2005, 02:43 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

handgun scope

Dear Shooter:
I have a Ruger Super Redhawk with a 2.5 - 8 Leupold on it and the only reason I'll keep it is the combination was given to me by a doctor I'm training from Mayo Clinic!
I am not in favor of scoped pistols unless it is for a very special application.
For deer, or other big game, first, all you see at normal pistol hunting range is hair! Second it is far slower than open sights at normal pistol range than OS! Third, If used for dangerous game (grizzly when trout or salmon fishing for protection any kind of protection), a scope will get you killed.
I much prefer OS, at hunting ranges. A handgun (with the possible exception of a +P Long Colt, a 454 Cassul or a 480 Ruger) is far better at hunting distances than a scoped one. A scope on a handgun makes you think you can shoot game at a more extended range than you should.
I know, some very successfully do it, but not this old boy.
Harry b.
Old September 15, 2005, 09:47 PM   #4
roger1shot

Steady Stix II

Hey,
I haven't shot the Ruger with 4x28 yet.
But I can see what your talking about with the wobble.
The Steady StixII might be just what I need?
Should have got a set when I was buying the scope.
I got the 4x28 thinking, that the 4x would be better for the old eyes.
I'm planning to do a lot of practice,shooting and picking out targerts, with out shooting also.