The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 9, 2016, 06:40 AM   #1
CWO USN

Recommendations re: Browning Black Label 1911-380

Glad to be here.

I've recently started looking at 9mm and .380 ACP in 1911 design/function. One in pistol that stands out for me is the Browning Black Label 1911-380. Scaled down 1911, about 85% smaller than its older sibling .45 ACP. Convenient pocket carry. Unfortunately, none of the LGS here has one readily available. I also checked locally to see if pistol ranges within an hour drive might have a rental. Negative too.

Inputs requested and respectfully directed to forum members that own or have had extensive firing sessions with the 1911-380. Looking at both EDC and range exercise experiences and recommendations please. Thank you.
Old July 9, 2016, 04:48 PM   #2
SDF880

I don't own one but recently handled all of the 1911 380 models at the NRA convention. I was very impressed with the fit, feel, and finish no doubt. A woman I work with picked one up a few months ago and loves it and no issues after a hundred rounds. I love the 1911 platform but no way would I pay that much for a 380.
Old July 9, 2016, 11:15 PM   #3
CWO USN

Yes. I too am a bit apprehensive with the market prices. However, the Kimber Micro CDP 380 isn't too far behind the Browning. The Browning Black Label 1911-380's design much more true to the 1911 platform has peaked my interest.

Brian C. Sheetz's review in American Rifleman is well worth the read.

NRA Life Member
Old July 10, 2016, 02:56 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Not the Black Label 1911-380, but I do have a Browning 1911-22. IMHO, there are two things to keep in mind:

First, while the original 1911-22 (which is what I have) used an alloy receiver, the Black label models (both the .22 and the .380) use a polymer receiver. That's okay for some people -- for me, it's a deal breaker.

Second, again IMHO, it's not at all a pocket pistol. It has a 4-1/4" barrel the same length as a Colt Combat Commander. The overall length is 7-1/2". By contrast, the smallest .45 ACP 1911 I know of is the Para Slim Hawg. That has a 3" barrel and an overall length of 6-1/2". I don't consider the Slim Hawg to be a pocket pistol. At 7-1/2" long, the Browning is a quarter of an inch longer than a Colt Officers ACP..
Old July 10, 2016, 02:41 PM   #5
ftttu

Several months ago, I went to a local gun show with the intent of purchasing one of these. I handled it a couple of times and would walk away, thinking I'd probably purchase it before I left the show just in case something else caught my eye. Nothing better popped up, but I still ended up not getting it.

I'm a fan of the .380, having owned two Browning BDA 380s, an Accu-Tec AT-380(POS) and a Glock 42. However, I think it was the gun being made of plastic which turned me off in the end. If it was an all metal piece, I'd have "pulled the trigger" on it.
Old July 10, 2016, 02:52 PM   #6
ttarp

I'm afraid I don't have the experience you requested, I have one of the .22's and have handled the .380 in store. Other than the plastic frame, and costing almost as much as an Hk USP, the only real issue I had was with the ambidextrous safety. A couple of times while I was handling it I managed to engage the safety, I guess my grip was too high? At any rate I'm going to hold out for an all metal GI version and hope the price comes down. Good luck with your decision.
Old July 10, 2016, 03:07 PM   #7
CWO USN

Thank you for everyone's feedback. Majority of you pointed the pistol's frame. I hate to say it, but I agree and in my original post above didn't want to influence anyone's feedback. That too was a deterrence when I first looked the specs over. I know Browning doesn't make public exactly what this material is. Nonetheless, I believe I will move on and pass on this model pistol.

In fact, I have another query I will post shortly in a separate thread on another pistol I happen to come across this morning.

Much appreciated again!

NRA Life Member