The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 21, 2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Mauser8mm

Best Way To Attract Deer And Hogs?

I am looking for suggestions on how to attract deer and hogs, I throw some corn out every once in a while and nothing seems to be eating it. I do it right across my land, on another property where I have seen deer before. Any suggestions?
Old February 21, 2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Doyle

Lot's of possibilities here. The first question to ask is do the deer have a source of food they like better? 2 years ago, we had an absolute bumper crop of acorns. The things were everywhere. The only thing that we had visiting our feeders were squirrels and coons. The deer, hogs, and turkeys were happy eating the acorns and totally ignored the corn.
Old February 21, 2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Cover, quiet, food.

Tell the guy throwing the corn to stop spreading his scent all over.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Hog Buster

Best way to attract them.......Plant some crop you don’t want them to eat. They’ll come running and bring friends.

Second best....... A pile of corn. About a 5 gallon bucket full for starters. That seems to get their attention. Then as time goes by just enough to keep them returning.

However it goes without saying that you have to have some in the area in order to attract them.
Old February 21, 2013, 10:09 PM   #5
AC 45-70

Just dont feed them too much corn because it can hurt their digestive system.
Old February 21, 2013, 10:42 PM   #6
thallub

Quote:
I am looking for suggestions on how to attract deer and hogs,
As a dedicated hog hunter and trapper i can tell you that attracting hogs is not a good idea. i own three properties in OK located many miles from each other. One of those properties is overrun with wild hogs and the deer population has suffered there. The hogs eat up the acorns, run the deer off game plots and away from water holes. Big hogs sometimes develop a taste for fawns.

Last year a friend and myself trapped about 200 wild hogs and i shot about 20 more. Well over 50 of those hogs came from one property. Judging from game camera photos, i'm not sure we have seriously damaged the hog population. A feeder runs year around at the hog trap and we have not seen one deer at the feeder since October: Nothing but hogs.

Now back to your question. Set up feeders timed to run about 30 minutes before daylight and about one hour before dark. There are feeders that do that automatically. If you can get soybeans or blackeyed peas in bulk use those in your feeders. Otherwise use corn but do not feed more than a few pounds each day for reasons already mentioned.

Last edited by thallub; February 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old February 21, 2013, 11:08 PM   #7
Rmart30

To keep game coming regularly the food source needs to be regular.

Going out once every couple of weeks and putting out a sack of corn wont work.
Get a large feeder with a programmable electric timer that will hold 4-6 bags of corn and set it to throw twice a day for just a few seconds.
It may throw out only a cpl of handfuls of corn is all but it will keep them coming back over and over cause its always there.

Other than that I agree with thallub.. Hogs are a invasive species and on the ten thousand acres I help to manage the areas the hogs move into the deer leave. We run multiple game cams year round and in the areas the hogs are in you will 99.9% of the year never see a single deer in that area.
I have personally seen a oak hollow of about 2 acres loaded down with acorns on the ground so thick you couldnt walk with out stepping on at least 3 or 4 in 24 hrs go to not being able to find a single fresh acorn uneaten on the ground.
Hogs will decimate mast crops and many other sources of deer foods.
Old February 21, 2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Keg

Quote:
I am looking for suggestions on how to attract deer and hogs, I throw some corn out every once in a while and nothing seems to be eating it. I do it right across my land, on another property where I have seen deer before. Any suggestions?
Question? Is there a large population of deer and hogs on this place? It could make a difference on how much corn is put out.....I feed a lot.....

Also for hogs....Dig a deep hole..with a post hole digger....Fill it up to maybe a ft. from the top....Fill it the rest of the way with dirt....The rain water will soak in the dirt and corn.....The hogs will not stay away.....
Old February 22, 2013, 09:34 AM   #9
kraigwy

Don't know about hogs, don't have them up there, but the higher the hay prices get, the more deer your horse hay will attract.

Seriously, get a large round bail of oat hay and you'll have more deer and turkeys then you want.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 22, 2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Saltydog235

I chuckled at the don't feed them too much corn, it'll hurt their digestive systems. Deer are in essence nothing more than a goat and browsers, if corn is hurting their digestive tracts, then they won't eat it, they'll move on to something else.

As far as hogs are concerned. You don't want to attract them because once you have them, you can't hardly get rid of them. They are prolific breeders and will completely ruin a property eating everything they can to the detriment of the deer population. Around here, there are two types of land, with hogs and land that is going to have hogs. Unless you want everything rooted up and destroyed, you'd be best advised to keep them away at all costs.

However if you are intent on hogs, fill up a bucket full of corn, add beer and grape kool-aide, let it sour in the sun. Dig a deep hole with post hole diggers and fill it up. Cover that with a little dirt, layer it over with (and this sound gross but works) used tampons or in a pinch fish guts and shrimp peels. They'll come running and tear the place up getting it out of the ground and never really leave. After you kill one or two during the daylight, they will become nocturnal and soon you will have more than you ever wanted. Pigs are smart animals and realize when they are being targeted for assassination. You can also coat tree trunks with diesel fuel or burnt motor oil where they will rub against it to coat their fur.

Last edited by Saltydog235; February 22, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:03 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I just use corn, a pack of yeast and water to make my soured corn...

Never needed to add anything really stinky to the mix...

The reason to bury the corn is to make it last longer...

Too much work to me... a plastic barrel with a ton of 9/16th 5/8ths holes drilled into it with a screw on lid makes an awesome hog toy... they will roll it all over to get the corn to drop out... We kept a rope tied into the bottom so we didn't lose them...

Brent
Old February 22, 2013, 11:28 AM   #12
thallub

Quote:
Too much work to me... a plastic barrel with a ton of 9/16th 5/8ths holes drilled into it with a screw on lid makes an awesome hog toy... they will roll it all over to get the corn to drop out... We kept a rope tied into the bottom so we didn't lose them...
Works for me.

My pig toys have a few 1/2" inch holes: Keeps them around longer.. The hogs toss the thing around for hours to get the corn out.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:37 PM   #13
Pahoo

Very basic

Quote:
Cover, quiet, food.
Well, almost as I have read, that instictively, most animals are concerned with;

Food-Sex-Shelter
Not neccessarily in that order. So it depends mostly on the time of year. I'd say to start preparing for your food plots. I have helped fellas set up a few and they do work. Plant what deer like and I'll bet that will bring the hogs in as well but understand that we have very few hogs, in Iowa. ...

Food-Sex-Shelter; That sounds familiar ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 22, 2013, 01:38 PM   #14
Mauser8mm

Thanks!

Appreciate the replies!
Old February 22, 2013, 02:08 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Half inch holes just clogged easier when the corn inside got wet from rain...

We would leave our hog toy up right with 200-250 pounds of corn in it... This way we could see from a distance if they had hit it...

These critters never had a problem tipping it over and getting started on it...

Brent
Old February 22, 2013, 02:59 PM   #16
thallub

Quote:
We would leave our hog toy up right with 200-250 pounds of corn in it... This way we could see from a distance if they had hit it...
i have some 30 gallon drum hog toys and stand them on end. Problem is the hogs are almost 100 percent nocturnal. Have a couple 8" pipe hog toys with small holes that are chained to stakes. We do catch a hog tossing them around once in awhile in early morning.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:28 PM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I was both trapping and dogging them so being nocturnal was no big deal... we just wanted to know we had increased our chances with the dogs and it also seems to decrease the trap fear too...

brent
Old February 22, 2013, 04:22 PM   #18
Saltydog235

HD, I'm going to try that barrel method. You just use a stout rope and not chain?
Old February 22, 2013, 04:26 PM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

We actually used "mule tape" which is just real small woven strap most of the time or small rope... Never had it chewed apart... 20 or more feet.

Brent
Old February 22, 2013, 05:19 PM   #20
FALPhil

Quote:
i own three properties in OK located many miles from each other. One of those properties is overrun with wild hogs and the deer population has suffered there.
Thallub, I would like to help you thin out those hogs. I will do it for free. Let me know.
Old February 25, 2013, 02:07 PM   #21
reynolds357

Attract deer or hogs would be the most accurate statement. Hogs have a great way of running deer off rather quickly. Its been my experience that the best way to attract hogs is to try to get rid of them. The harder we work at erradicating them, the more there seem to be.
Old February 25, 2013, 04:19 PM   #22
Tickling

Quote:
Best way to attract them.......Plant some crop you don’t want them to eat. They’ll come running and bring friends.
This is so true. If you care about it, THEY WILL COME and eat it. Rosebushes, raspberry plants, flowering dogwoods, EUCALYPTUS SAPLINGS. If your wife or mother loves it, you can't build fences high enough.

EDITED TO ADD: My mother once read to spray vinegar on her plants to repel the deer. Worked the opposite way, it must have been like salad dressing to them. So maybe spray some on the corn

Last edited by Tickling; February 25, 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old February 25, 2013, 05:40 PM   #23
Sure Shot Mc Gee

My best answer is to go to Utube and look up a bunch of fellers that make pig chow that works according to them. Their UTube I.d. is: Bohemianhuntingclub. (Topic: HOW TO-RECIPE #1 HOG BAIT)__No speculating. These boys appear to know what their doing most of the time.
S/S
Old February 25, 2013, 09:28 PM   #24
shortwave

Along with regular feeding of corn, a salt/mineral block also works well for deer.

When I used to feed corn off the ground and was starting out a new area, I'd usually mix some molasses and apples in with the corn for first few piles. After the deer got feeding regular on the pile, I'd just use corn.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:50 PM   #25
alex0535

Food plots, its already the time of year where you can be planting things that will attract deer.

You don't want hogs if you can help it, but if you put out stuff for deer to eat you might end up with hogs.

There is a lot of stuff you can plant to attract deer, consider buying a couple different seed mixes for whitetail food plots. I think this will help more than corn. Although if you do want to use corn, get yourself a feeder. It will spread out corn without leaving your smell around it.