The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 9, 2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Ervin

Bushmaster A2s?

http://www.bushmaster.com/competitio...es.asp?cat=16R

Im seeing some of their A2s going for $860 online, my question is: are these just basic entry level match rifles or should I save up for something slightly over $1,000?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/604206022769.html

I wouldnt be suprised if they came with service grade triggers.

By the way, has anyone tried the Micro Sight yet?
Old February 10, 2011, 08:37 AM   #2
lmccrock

What kind of match? For highpower, you probably want a 1:8" twist, not the 1:9", so you will more reliably stabilize heavier bullets. The other stuff (sights and trigger) can be replaced readily.

And, if it does not say "match trigger", expect the plain stock trigger which you REALLY want to replace for any competition.

Lee
Old February 10, 2011, 11:47 AM   #3
PawPaw

I've got a Bushmaster A2, but don't use it for much of anything. I bought it because it reminds me of the rifle I used when I worked for Uncle Sugar.

So far, it's been dead-nuts reliable. No issues at all. I did take a carbine course and qualified with it, but mainly I use it for teaching grandkids to shoot. The grandkids think that they earn serious cool-points when I let them shoot the AR.

It is a very accurate rifle, much more accurate than I'm able to shoot it. I don't have any optics on it, just the bone-stock sights that came with the rifle. The trigger isn't great, but it's upgraded easily enough.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 10, 2011, 08:12 PM   #4
P-990

If you want to shoot Highpower Service Rifle, get a White Oak upper, find a Rock River Arms lower with a 2-stage trigger and go to work. It's enough to shoot all the way to High Master if you can and should come in around $1000.
Old February 10, 2011, 10:11 PM   #5
Ervin

Not gonna lie, I dont like the bull barrel look on a battle rifle. Ive seen service rifle teams using a stainless barrel A2 that still had a compensator. Being a grunt, thats what I have my eyes set on right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdW13c8OZhA

is it too optimistic to expect 3-4in groupings @ 200yds from these basic rifles?
Old February 10, 2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Ervin

I'll settle for the Bushmaster DCM XR for paper killing, maybe even buy a space age tube gun type upper one day. I figure I can always get a basic service grade M16A2 upper.
Old February 11, 2011, 06:39 AM   #7
P-990

Ervin,

I think you can get John Holliger to build you that upper with a flash hider if you want the look. That upper is basically equivalent to what the service teams are shooting (the AMU and Marines). If you want to shoot Highpower, you want a good barrel, a float tube and 1/2x1/2 min or 1/4x1/4 sights. The teams use 1/4x1/4 min sights I believe.

As for accuracy, these rifles are good for about 3/4-MOA with many loads, so 3-4" at 200 isn't even close to unreasonable IMO.

FWIW, my rifle is a mostly stock Armalite National Match model with a WOA-chambered 1-7" Wilson barrel. It shoots great and requires almost no maintenance to keep it hammering. Just clean and shoot.
Old February 19, 2011, 11:16 PM   #8
Ken O

It looks like you are talking competition for XTC matches, so I'll give my opinion for the cheapest way out for a rifle that will out shoot you or anyone.

Buy any stripped lower, this is what is taxed at the high rate. Buy a quality parts kit without the trigger group from White Oak or Rock River. Get a Geissele trigger (this is the expensive part) also available from White Oak, or many other venders, buy a White Oak upper 7 twist. Done.

Don't know how old you are, but I have a Micro Sight and it works for me so far. Today I put it into my AR15 22rf upper for indoor practice, everyone that looked through it was amazed. Most said the front sight looked cleaner than when they were young. Everyone was over 60 and shot HP XTC until their eyes gave out and had to hang it up. Everyone's eyes are different, I'm holding off giving a full blessing until I shoot a match with it. I don't know how it will affect eye fatigue for the long XTC match day.
Ken
Old February 28, 2011, 07:30 PM   #9
bobn

my bushmaster cmp rifle rewards me with 8 or 9 ring shots while my colt heavy match sporter kept me in the 7 sometimes 8 ring. i dont have enough dedication to move ahead, just thought i mention the bushmaster does me okay. fwiw, bobn
Old March 4, 2011, 02:19 AM   #10
Ervin

I was hoping you fellas could identify the upper on this space age AR.
Im assuming the buttstock goes right over the buffer tube
Old March 4, 2011, 03:26 AM   #11
mc223

Hard to say who made the space gun. Could be a Compass Lake. Or any of many individual builds.

Some of those butt stocks fit over the existing tube ans some have their own tube.
http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/parts.htm
Old March 4, 2011, 10:24 AM   #12
COSteve

If you really are interested in CMP and other competitive shooting you really should consider an RRA National Match A2. It has a free floated, air gauged barrel, NM sights, NM chrome bolt carrier group, and a great NM chrome 2-stage trigger. It's ready to compete with right out of the box.

It's one of the best NM setup rifles you can get right out of the box and you can find them ready to go without any need to change any parts. You can find them NIB for $1,000 - $1,100. RRA National Match A2
Old March 4, 2011, 11:47 AM   #13
Ervin

ahh....she sure is pretty, Ive been looking for this stainless barrel model high and low. I'll most likely get something along those lines, but for competition I want a fully adjustable rifle. I have all the respect for service rifles but there are more advantages to...say using doughnut front sights, longer barrels, better peep sights and adj. buttstocks.

Thanks for the buttstock info, any clue on the upper? It looks like a beefed up varmint style reciever to me.
Old March 4, 2011, 09:54 PM   #14
Ken O

The upper is a common space gun (AR match rifle). White Oak Armament or Compass Lake will fix you up. http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/complete_uppers.htm
Match uppers don't come with sights, just to warn you.