The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 1999, 04:05 PM   #1
STEVE M

I'm getting a slight roll at the bass of the neck. When I tried chambering the empty case in my rifle it wouldn't. I tried setting my sizing die all the way against the shell holder and it will chamber, but it takes some effort. What should I do? I don't like the looks of the extra roll but don't know if it is dangerous and I don't like the amount of force to close the bolt. (I don't have cartridge or chamber guages) but all my other loads have worked fine for this rifle.
Old October 17, 1999, 05:18 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Are you using case lube? Going from a .308 hole to .284 ought to be an easy step.

FWIW, Art
Old October 17, 1999, 08:20 PM   #3
Peter M. Eick

Don't do it!

I can speak from painful personal experience!

I shoot a lot of 308's and bought a 7-08 remington bolt figuring I could do the same thing. I tried it and no problem, brass chambered and I trimmed to the same length as standard 7-08 brass.

I next (getting a bit cocky) loaded my brass up with 130 grn Seirra JHP's and I started 10% off the Seirra Max load. (I do not want to give Seirra a bad name, so no other details).

First shot my hat came off, my muffs were pulled back and I was glad I had shooting glasses. I blew the primer right out of the winchester brass and took a good blast of gas and powder right in the face (actually as I reread this it was a big blast of gas). It jamed my firing pin in the bolt, and I could barely yank the action open without tools. The primer was gone and the whole base of the case was blackened. The bolt face was lightly scored and I had to break the bolt down to get the ejector and firing pin to work again. I was lucky to have my sight. (Always, and I mean Always wear shooting glasses)

I credit my typing this to you because of good remington rifles and starting 10% down.

I know it sounds like a good idea, but I store this case on my reloading desk to remind me of my stupidity. Actually it probably made me a much better reloader because I follow every rule now and document everything.

pete

ps: admitting my reloading stupidity is good for the soul, but I get shivers when I think about how close I came to ...
Old October 18, 1999, 05:46 PM   #4
STEVE M

Arte, I am using case lube, (Hornaday spray type, 'one shot' I think). Peter, any idea what would cause such a drastic pressure increase?
Old October 18, 1999, 09:51 PM   #5
M16

Steve, what could be happening is when you neck down the .308 this causes they neck to thicken. What you will need to do is ream the necks. RCBS makes an attachment for their case trimmer that reams the inside of the necks while also turning down the outside of the neck. Whenever you neck down brass the neck thickens. When you chamber this round the fit is so tight that there is not enough room for the brass to expand to release the bullet. When this happens pressures skyrocket. This is especially true when you try to neck down military brass as it is thicker than commercial brass.
Old October 19, 1999, 02:37 PM   #6
Peter M. Eick

M16 hit the nail on the head, but I would add that I have a minimum dimension chamber 7-08 so I had a thick neck and a tight chamber. A very bad combination at best.

Need more infor?

pete