The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 20, 2009, 10:23 PM   #1
shep854

Modifying Garments for CCW

How have you modified clothing to be more CCW-friendly? As the weather turns colder and we have to layer up, CCW access can be compromised.

I have a knee-length leather coat. In the past, I would have to unbutton and brush the coat back to reach my trouser pockets (I pocket carry). If I wanted my CCW to be reasonably accessible, I had to shift it to a coat pocket. Besides being cold, it looks conspicuous if one wants to get a grip on a weapon. Recently, I had "pass-through" slits made in the coat pocket openings, which allows me to reach into my trouser pockets (and grasp my CCW, if needed) without opening the coat. I plan to have this done to other coats, as the need arises.

I've read recommendations for having a gun-friendly tailor for alter or strengthen clothing as needed. What are your thoughts and mods?
Old December 20, 2009, 10:34 PM   #2
kazanski612

You have a knee-length leather coat? You could conceal a SAW under that.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old December 21, 2009, 07:28 AM   #3
shep854

But there's still the access problem. Remember, I'm trying to keep the thing closed! OTOH, a couple of bursts should warm things up nicely.
Old December 21, 2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Beentown71

Reinforce my pockets with a heavier material.

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old December 21, 2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Don P

Perhaps a shorter coat. Less to have to sweep back. Possible shoulder rig. Pocket carry in the coat would be the fastest draw from CCW.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 21, 2009, 02:58 PM   #6
shep854

I do have some shorter coats, which I also wear regularly. With those, hand-in-pocket is not as conspicuous. It's nice to have options.
Old December 21, 2009, 04:20 PM   #7
win-lose

In the winter I don't wear very long coats... still, I can't reliably draw a weapon from strong side iwb or owb. Appendix iwb is a bit better, but not much. As such, I pocket carry in my strong-side front pocket.
Old December 22, 2009, 12:59 AM   #8
jakeg823

Quote:
I have a knee-length leather coat
um why??? you live in alabama....we all know that it doesnt get cold enough in the southeast to justify such a thing. unless the weather in birmingham is drastically different than the weather in jackson, ms. i rarely wear coats, unless i know i'm going to be outside for longer than the few minutes it takes me to walk from my truck to the front door of whereever i'm heading. I always have several jackets in my truck just in case i have a breakdown or whatever, but still.

and on top of that, IMO, a knee-length leather coat(trench coat), is about as subtle as a hawaiian shirt(outside of hawaiia or other beach(ish) location) or a tactical vest...or how bout a glock hat, or an NRA tattoo on your forehead, or any other visible part of your body for that matter(havent seen this one........yet)....i'm not sayin, i'm just sayin
Old December 22, 2009, 05:49 AM   #9
smince

I cut off any draw string that might possibly get into my holster or impeade my draw. That's the only clothing mod I can think of off hand.
Old December 22, 2009, 06:41 AM   #10
benp

In the winter I don't wear very long coats... still, I can't reliably draw a weapon from strong side iwb or owb. Appendix iwb is a bit better, but not much. As such, I pocket carry in my strong-side front pocket.

I stick with the shorter coats also with non-elastic bottoms.

My main coat for above -20 is a Carhart Detroit coat. Rides a few inches below the waistline. Does not hamper my draw for iwb.

Even with an under layer of a hooded sweatshirt or untucked flannel shirt there is no problem.
Old December 22, 2009, 07:35 AM   #11
shep854

"um why???"--jakeg823
Because I like it. It doesn't often get cold here, but I like my comfort. Actually, there are enough longer coats being worn that it doesn't stand out by itself.
Old December 22, 2009, 10:51 AM   #12
Pyzon

Other than the obvious ease of concealment that cooler weather brings, your idea of providing pass through access to a belt carried gun is a good idea. I carry a full size all steel CZ 75B IWB at 3:30-4:00, but like you am slowed way down by even a waist or slighly longer jacket. When I am going into a bad area I will add a pocket gun and extra mag carried in the jacket pockets.
Old December 22, 2009, 01:35 PM   #13
Diamond LawDawg

yeah right

Modify clothing.... got 20 way kewl Hawaiian shirts..good to GO long haired bearded biker retired cop aahh life is grand
Old December 22, 2009, 01:35 PM   #14
Sixer

This thread is great...

BTW what color are we talking about?

Balck like Neo in The Matrix...

Possibly purple?

...or more of a cowhide brown, Wyatt Earp style?

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old December 22, 2009, 04:50 PM   #15
The Great Mahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp
I stick with the shorter coats also with non-elastic bottoms.
Ditto. I stick with loose bottom garments that can easily be pulled aside or above my strong-side holster. Preferably those that hang a bit lower than my belt, but I use an IWB holster when I can't find one appropriate. I've take to wearing vests more than heavy coats, so that I needn't take it off when I get inside of where I am going, making it easy and comfortable to carry.
Old December 23, 2009, 10:29 AM   #16
Dwight55

I'm with you Mahoo, . . . been wearing vests for 40+ years, . . . everyone who knows the old geezer knows me in them more than out of them.

When I started CCW, . . . it just blended right under them, . . . life is OK that way.

Knowing the leather coats I've had in the past, . . . I'd be very leery of cutting the pocket to reach through, . . . as in the heat of some moment, . . . I can just see a hammer or magazine or something hanging up on the coat as I try to pull it through. It could just ruin your whole day.

When I wear a long coat, . . . it is rarely buttoned or zippered closed. I keep it closed enough with my arms or my hands in the pockets, . . . then if I need to access something under it, . . . a thumb rake backwards and I am good to go.

I have to believe that is WAY faster than going for a gun "through" another garment, . . . IMO.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 23, 2009, 10:34 AM   #17
NightSight

I don't think that the OP was asking for comments on his style of dress.

My carry holster is a Summer Special style IWB. I have oftened wished that I had more belt loops on certain jeans in order to put the weapon in the most comfortable place; however, I had never really considered having them installed.

I have heard of a few women having holsters sewed into their purses and a couple of guys who have sewed holsters into coat pockets so that they could easily unholster one-handed.
Old December 23, 2009, 02:36 PM   #18
Quincunx

This might be rather a strange thought, but I have been thinking that an extra belt loop or two on the right-hand side of my pants could provide a little extra holster stability for OWB carry. Or do I just have too much thinking time on my hands right now?
Old January 2, 2010, 02:59 PM   #19
Straightshooter629

Quote:
This might be rather a strange thought, but I have been thinking that an extra belt loop or two on the right-hand side of my pants could provide a little extra holster stability for OWB carry. Or do I just have too much thinking time on my hands right now?
I'm not sure the extra belt loops would do as much good as asimply investing in a GOOD, heavy belt. I always OWB, either in a belt slide or occasionally in a paddle and I got the biggest improvement in stability when I invested in "Beltman" belt. At least, get the stiffest, heaviest belt you can.

As far as other modifications for winter wear, all of my outer wear have zipper closures and I put oversized pulls on the zippers to make it easier to my coats/jackets even with gloves on.
Old January 3, 2010, 04:49 AM   #20
dabigguns357

I wear such a heavy coat that i just brush back and draw.Now when i wear a rain coat i have extra big,wide pocket openings that i completely remove the pocket it self leaving just the outer pocket flap,which so far hasn't gotten in the way when drawing.If i have to draw and i can't completely break free of my pocket i hope to at least have enough sense to shoot through.
Old January 10, 2010, 01:40 PM   #21
shep854

During the "Ice Age of 2010" (actually the first normal Southern winter we've had in quite a while), I've been able to give my cold weather gear a workout. The modded coat works fine, though not as well as no coat, of course.

I also got to find out how well my SealSkinz gloves work--great! They are waterproof/breathable gloves that are like "aviators" gloves or brown cotton "jersey" gloves for bulk (IOW, not very) and interfere very little with gun-handling. Even so, they are very warm in the teens-to-30s temperatures of the past week. For colder conditions, they should do well as mitten liners, to protect your hands if you have to pull the mittens off.

http://www.danalco.com/htmls/products/products.shtml