The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2012, 08:55 PM   #1
loademwell

CH Press? any good?

I bought a press from a guy on craigslist more for the extras that came with it. Its a CH "C" frame single stage press.

Does anyone use one of these? Are they any good? I didn't get a user manual with myne. But assuming that it is the same operation that a Lee single stage press would be the same.

Can you email me a copy of the user manual if you have one?
Old December 5, 2012, 09:14 PM   #2
YARDDOG(1)

I use (2) to make thing alittle faster, Othre wise Works great ; )
Y/D
Old December 5, 2012, 09:45 PM   #3
LE-28

As long as the bored hole the ram rides in isn't worn out, causing excessive wobble when the ram is topped out, it should be as good as any of the rest of the cast iron SS presses on the market. I've thrown two cast iron presses away that had over 1/16" of play with the ram completely up. To me that is unexceptable. I bought a RockChucker Supreme somewhere around 1990 to replace them with and have used it hard ever since. I just measured it after I read your question and it measured at 1/64" play. If the former owner of yours oiled ram once in a while you probably have a pretty good press there.

Some may say the dies line the shell up anyways, that may be the case with a resizing die, but a worn out ram hole can cause bullets to seat crooked, and we all know that if a bullet hits the rifling crooked, it leaves the barrel crooked.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:47 PM   #4
LE-28

I'm having problems with the touch screen on my laptop. this was a double post, please disreguard.

Last edited by LE-28; December 6, 2012 at 04:25 AM. Reason: backed out double post, computer problems
Old December 6, 2012, 07:25 PM   #5
dickttx

C-H is still in business and still make the CHampion O press I bought in the early 70's for around $50. It is $300 now. VERY strong press. I think they have their manuals on their website. http://www.ch4d.com/