The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 15, 2015, 08:31 AM   #1
Mosin-Marauder

Question....

I finished the stock on my Remington 514, and after 1 coat I put Beeswax on it, would I be good just wiping it down with a damp cloth then letting it dry if I wanted to apply another coat of the TruOil? Or would the beeswax not affect one or two more coats?
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old September 15, 2015, 09:38 AM   #2
briandg

bees wax? My suggestion would be to use 0000 steel wool with mineral spirits to scour off the wax. Do that two or three times. Then, you should be good to go, adding as many coats of tru oil as you want. I think the stuff works nicely creating a good glossy finish, and rubbing it down with 0000 steel wool gives it a good sheen.
Old September 15, 2015, 09:56 AM   #3
Dave P

I agree with Brian. Clean all the wax off, and do the truoil routine. Great stuff.

Then, it that is too glossy for you, gently steel wool again, and use carnuba floor wax paste to give it a wonderful sheen.
Old September 16, 2015, 12:54 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

You'll need to remove the bees wax before any other finish goes on. Shouldn't require 0000 steel wool to do though. 1/2 cup white vinegar and 1/2 cup water in a wee bowl and applied in the direction of the wood grain using a clean, lint-free cloth, then rinsed off will do.
Old September 18, 2015, 05:24 AM   #5
Tony Z

It will take some work to get the bee's wax off, but it's got to be gone!

The stocks I've refinished with Tru-Oil have been from bare wood: slightly dampen the wood to raise fibers, sand off, soak in Tru-Oil, buff off with 0000 steel wool (get good stuff, not the Wally-World brand as it typically has traces of oil in it from manufacturing that will contaminate your finish). Keep repeating for at least 3 or 4 more applications.

The result is a satin smooth deep sheen and the more coats you put on the deeper it will appear BUT they key is the first step with raising the grain and smoothing it off.

A nice thing about an oil finish, is that is is repairable should the stock be damaged, simply by smoothing damaged area and re-applying Tru-Oil. A film finish, such as a varnish, is difficult at best to accomplish this.
Old September 18, 2015, 02:24 PM   #6
Scorch

TruOil will not stick to wax, so the beeswax has to come off if you want to add more finish (mineral spirits will remove wax very nicely). Or you can just build up coats of beeswax on the stock, it will work OK as a stock finish.