The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 7, 2000, 04:20 PM   #1
wirenut

I'm thinking of getting one of these as my combat shotgun. I like and respect the benelli name. Everyone where I shoot keeps telling me to get a Remington 870. I know that this is an excellent shotgun but I want to get something a little different. The Nova interests me but I won't get one if they suck. Does anyone out there have any experience with this model. I would really like to know. Thanks.
Old September 7, 2000, 06:22 PM   #2
Mel Hoskin

Wirenut,

I have one of the Nova shotguns with the 24 inch barrel. Have only put about 25 rounds thru it so far(had to work up a turkey load), went thru 23/4", 3" and 31/2" rounds in the process. The one thing that I know is that if you are going to shoot the 31/2" ammo in it, you need to get the recoil reduction system they have for that shotgun. I would not have any qualms about using it for a home defense weapon, as it seems to be a shooter.

Mel <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wirenut:
I'm thinking of getting one of these as my combat shotgun. I like and respect the benelli name. Everyone where I shoot keeps telling me to get a Remington 870. I know that this is an excellent shotgun but I want to get something a little different. The Nova interests me but I won't get one if they suck. Does anyone out there have any experience with this model. I would really like to know. Thanks.[/quote]

------------------
Old September 9, 2000, 10:21 PM   #3
Watchman

I got lucky and WON a Nova shotgun at work on a raffle. Well , I guess you could say it cost me 10 bucks ...thats what Ive got in it.

I took it duck hunting and turkey hunting and the gun performed as it is supposed to.

But...I just could not get used to it. Understand that Ive been shooting an 870 since I could walk, that may be part of the problem.

I just could not get used to the feel of it. Its a very pratical shotgun for duck hunting as the reciever is encased in the same plastic that the stock uses, so its pretty impervious to the weather.

Its a good shotgun. I gave it to my 13 year old. You need to try it and make sure it fits and make sure that you can mount it well . You need to try it ti see if you like the feel of it. Thats the only way you'll ever know.
Old September 10, 2000, 01:47 AM   #4
dZ

i was quite successful with my Nova hunting chuckars last spring. Its really a neat machine. It drops ringnecks too!

i asked about the slug gun at a big PA distributer a month ago

they said its not out yet

i had hoped to get the slug barrel as an add on to my Nova but i heard that it will not be an accessory part.

dZ
Old September 10, 2000, 02:01 AM   #5
dZ

woo woo!
i just saw this on benelli's website:
Nova
Additions to the Nova line include the 24" Rifled Slug and the 18.5" Special Purpose. The receiver on the rifled slug is drilled and tapped for a 93 Weaver base and
the special purpose pump comes equipped with ghost ring sights.

i would love to put an aimpont on my Nova for deer!

if you want a combat shotgun you should look here: http://www.benelliusa.com/special/

here is a good nova overview http://home.flash.net/~ffi/benellipage/nova.htm
Old September 16, 2000, 02:33 PM   #6
falconer

I handled one of these today at my gunshop. I really liked it. My only real question is are the barrels interchangable or do you get stuck with just one? The 28" model they had at the store had an asking price of $370 on it [my price would be less, I'm one of their favorite customers ] Is that a decent price?

------------------
"There are roads that must not be followed, and battles that must not be fought.." --Sun Tzu
Old September 16, 2000, 05:12 PM   #7
wirenut

The Benelli I am referring to is the "18.5" barrel model with the ghost ring sights. This a combat shotgun not a sporting or hunting shotgun. I believe the Benelli won't sell you a replacement barrel if you get this model but I,m not sure. My price was $309.

wirenut
Old September 16, 2000, 11:12 PM   #8
dZ

got my 24 " nova fer $309 last fall

gunsamerica is showing $329 to 450 http://www.gunsamerica.com/search.cg...&category=1150

dZ