The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 9, 2000, 02:31 PM   #1
jrhines

An old friend of mine showed me a smooth bore, .22 cal. rifle that was stamped Mo-Skeet. He said that 40+ years ago, he taught gun safty in some mid-west county schools, and if the kids passed the test, he would let them shoot skeet with this gun on the school football field! (Try that today!) He also showed me the 1/3 size trap that threw the 2" or so clays that the kids shot at.
Anyone heard of these things or know anything about them? Rare? Collectabile?
Old September 10, 2000, 11:00 PM   #2
Poplin

I've never seen such a 22 smoothbore, but I have once read about that mini-skeet game called Mo-Skeet-O that was introduced back then but never really took off.
Old September 11, 2000, 07:39 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Mossberg used to sell a smoothbore .22, thrower and reduced size clay birds. One interesting note about the thrower was that it could be attached directly to the rifle so that the shooter could easily "throw" the bird.
Old September 11, 2000, 01:57 PM   #4
jrhines

I don't think this was a M'burg, seems like a Winchester or maybe Remington. The trap was a spring loaded device with as I remember it, a foot release, so the shooter could play solo. As a sometime skeet shooter, I wolud think that this game would seperate the sheep from the goats. And I think your correct, it was with an O at the end.
We'll keep looking...