The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2013, 04:06 AM   #1
Skarekrow88

Classic Lee Loader .45 Auto Question

I know that the website says "Please note: the Classic Lee Loader neck sizes only. This is not recommended for semi, pump and lever action guns." but there is no neck on a .45 Auto case (or any of the pistol rounds they make the classic loaders for) at least not like there is on rifle cases. I am new to reloading and have inherited 5,000 .45 Auto brass casings but dont have any reloading equipment. I want to start small and am very interested in a Classic Lee Loader. Will I be able to fire these reloads through my automatic firearms or will they be unreliable? Why would they make a .45 Auto reloading kit that is not recommended to be fired in automatic firearms?
Old April 16, 2013, 07:41 AM   #2

Just as a guess, I would say that the instructions are generic. As you point out, the .45 ACP doesn't have a neck, so it isn't an issue for you.

The Classic Lee Loader will work fine in a .45 auto. I have loaded many thousands of rounds using a Lee Loader. And, the Lee Loader is a great way to start in the reloading aspect of the hobby. You start small, and can easily add some pieces, over time, to make the whole process more versitile.

The only thing you need to begin loading with the Lee Loader are powder, bullets, primers, cases, and a loading manual. In the future, you can add things like a hand priming tool to speed up the priming process. A powder scale and a powder measure so you can try different loads other than the ones you can do with the dipper. You can buy a dial caliper so that you can measure over all length as well as case length and the amount of taper crimp you are applying. Loading blocks. A little spray case lube would make things a little easier..............

Point is that you get everything you NEED with the Classic Lee Loader kit, but it can be expanded over time.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old April 16, 2013, 11:18 AM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

The loader will work just fine for you. It fully resizes the case. It takes considerable force with the mallet to do so. It will be very loud.
Old April 16, 2013, 11:53 AM   #4
lee n. field

The Lee Loader for straight wall cases does full length size.

Quote:
I want to start small and am very interested in a Classic Lee Loader.
Five thousand cases -- my suggestion is to start a little bit up from the bottom. Lee Hand Press, with die set.

Actually, Lee makes a kit with pretty much everything you need. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/650...hand-press-kit. That plus a die set, will work much better, and you will be able to use what you bought once you move up to better hardware.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "