The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 15, 2012, 12:07 PM   #1
mach1.3

Remington Model 600 chambered in...

6mm Rem is one of my go to carbines for Texas deerstand hunting. It's light weight and packs a punch. I have it topped off with an old 6x Weaver scope that shoots dead on at 100+ yds. The 6mm has similar ballistics to a .243 Win. maybe slightly hotter. It is very loud. The shots at my lease would be less than 150 yds. I've been thinking about letting my grandson shoot it at the range. He shoots my 5.56 Bushmaster now and loves it 'cause it's 'coooool'. My gs is 8 yrs. old and his mom(my daughter) thinks he's too young to hunt deer yet. I know I started hunting birds and deer at around 8 but it's a different world now. Once I take him hunting he could always shoot the .223 so he's comfortable with the gun and it's report. Don't want to scare him off of the sport. He hasn't asked to go hunting---he likes the range.

I usually shoot an old customized Mauser sporter chambered in .257 Roberts.
It is a fine shooter and can punch 1" groups at 100yds. with an old Redfield Widefield 2-7X scope. It is a little heavier than the Rem. 600.
Old November 15, 2012, 12:50 PM   #2
EMN89

A friend of mine has a remington 600 in .243, he has hunted with it since he was 10 or 11. Like you stated the gun is very loud and has quite a lot of muzzle blast which may be something to take into account with some young or new shooters, if he can handle the gun go for it (if his mother is okay wit it) but if it is to much for him don't rush it.
Old November 15, 2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

What's the question?
Old November 15, 2012, 01:04 PM   #4
EMN89

That's kind of what I was thinking but answered as to what I thought he was asking.
Old November 16, 2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Picher

There is a big difference in recoil between a semi-auto .223 Rem and a .243 Win bolt action. I wouldn't let most under-10 kids shoot the .243 Win, unless they're big/tough for their age and have had adequate shooting experience.

I've seen 10 year-olds handle one or two shots with a .243, but subsequent shots at targets created flinches that may last quite a while. One pulled his head away from the stock, just before "jerking" the trigger.
Old November 17, 2012, 01:42 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Time factor...

The problem isn't the rifle, or your grandson, its the time factor. Certainly your grandson will be able to learn to handle and shoot well that 6mm Rem. BUT, is it time for him to begin NOW?

Too much gun, too soon has ruined many people on shooting. And its not always just the recoil. Size, weight, and fit of the gun, plus blast and recoil, all go together.

I have several model 600s, in calibers from .222 to .350Mag. I started my deer hunting at 16 with one in .308Win. And yes, it kicks!

I think the lad could certainly handle the 6mm at 14. At 12, most likely. At 10, possibly, if well coached. But at 8? I think he might be willing, but the gun is just too big, too soon.

Now, that's just an average, and your lad might be the exception, and take to it like a duck to water. But, if he doesn't, you can do more harm than good. I'd give him some more time, before bringing out the bigger stuff. 6mm is light to me, for a deer round (works fine, but on the light end for caliber), and sadly, I can't remember what its like to be 8, anymore. But I think to him, its still pretty big.

Just my opinon, and worth what you paid for it.
Old November 19, 2012, 02:28 PM   #7
kahrguy

I have seen a couple boys at 8 or 9 that had the mental game down as they hunted tree rats with dad at younger ages and made good shots on deer from a blid aided with a bi-pod. You are the only one that knows your sons skill and ability levels. I started hunting at 13 but only cause I had not had the chance to hunt before that but started shooting regulary at 6 with dad or a nieghbor
Old November 19, 2012, 11:26 PM   #8
ltc444

The rifle cartridge combo is adequate. The issue is the operators level of training and maturity.

I once knew a lady who could not handle a 22 LR pistol. Give her a Model 29 with full house 44mags and she was deadly.

If you don't believe me, you can ask the Members of the Ouachita County SO who qualified/shot with her in November of 1995.