The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 4, 2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Tucker 1371

Tips for hogs (NW GA)

This will be my first season hunting hog, or really anything for that matter. For now the only places I have to go are WMA's. I plan on using my M1A with 150gr Federal Powershok and/or 150gr Hornady SST.

Hopefully my buddy who hunts deer but has never hunted hog will be able to go with me.

From what I can tell, in GA there is no hunting over bait or at night on public land so that's out. I was looking at going to Pine Log Mtn WMA in White, GA or Charlie Elliot WMA near Covington so for those in my area any info on these places would be helpful.

Any tips on actually finding hogs or useful gear (cheap camo, stands, etc) would be excellent.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old October 4, 2010, 11:00 PM   #2
BIG P

IMO,I wouldnt waste your time going to pine log or Elliot.I would go to Warwoman up close lake Burton ya'll would have alot better chance of getting some pork.Check GA.outdoor news best WMA'S for hog.They will give you a good place to start. Worked for Me. GOOD LUCK YA'LL.
Old October 4, 2010, 11:05 PM   #3
hnm3355

i would rent a helicopter and mow them down with a machine gun.lol

i havn't done much hunting, but i have seen lots of videos, just have an extra side arm. basic would be to look around, do research on were ur going, were they eat,sleep, crap, and travel. hear in arizona we see then alot near the cattle watering spots. hope some one can give u some better advice.
Old October 4, 2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Tucker 1371

Warwoman is about a 3 hour drive for me. I could swing it but probably not more than twice this season with my work schedule. I'll definitely give it a try if time allows.

Just talking with people in gun shops in my area led me to think Pinelog, it's only about a half hour away.
Old October 4, 2010, 11:27 PM   #5
snipecatcher

Walk quietly upwind in the middle of the day and you will likely find a herd of them sleeping if you are in a good area. They sleep pretty hard, and snore just like we do, so listen closely. They will be active in the early morning and evening. If you can find where they are feeding (probably a farm field) and find where they are sleeping during the day (probably very thick woods/swampy) set up along a trail in the early morning. They feed all night, and sometimes sunrise catches them off guard, at which time they will bee-line back to their bedding area, and probably wont notice you. Look for areas of torn up ground, and look at the trees about knee high, as they will rub against them, leaving a muddy spot. They aren't as aggressive as many people make them sound, but if you wound one and are tracking it through thick stuff, always know where the closest climb-able tree is.
Old October 4, 2010, 11:43 PM   #6
Tucker 1371

Thanks snipecatcher, that's what I was looking for. What about hunting over feed plots? I've heard the game managers have trouble with the pigs cleaning them out before the other game animals can feed so it seemed like a promising tactic.

Big P, heard anything about Cohutta hog hunting? Seems like a good compromise between Warwoman and Pinelog.
Old October 5, 2010, 01:13 AM   #7
Dr. Strangelove

Hey GSU!

Athens, Ga here - I did some deer hunting in north GA last year.

Check my info before going, but as I read it, National Forest land that's not in a WMA follows state hunting regulations unless an overriding federal regulation supersedes.

Meaning, National Forest land is open to all hunting during state seasons unless closed by local managers - be sure to call first.

Again, check my facts, but hog hunting at night is allowed as long as you are not in an area where it is specifically prohibited. (Such as a WMA)

Do your research and be sure to dot your i's and cross your T's, we camped on Lake Burton WMA while it was closed to hunting but hiked into the NF to hunt. I called and spoke with a NPS ranger, explaining what we were doing, he stressed to be very sure of where the boundaries were, and to be prepared to have to explain why we had a dead deer inside the boundaries of a closed WMA. (We didn't have to explain this, unfortunately)

Compounding our problems was the fact that the AT (Appalachian Trail) bisected our hunting area, and firearms are prohibited on the trail. The AT rules apply 50yds on either side, if I remember correctly. Asked about crossing the AT while hunting, the ranger wouldn't give me a definite ruling, but insinuated that while it was a judgment call, most rangers wouldn't bother you as long as you crossed quickly out of sight of hikers and weren't hunting near the trail.

Do your research and due diligence, but there are more areas open to hunting than you may think in north GA.
Old October 5, 2010, 01:19 AM   #8
therealdeal

Quote:
Warwoman is about a 3 hour drive for me. I could swing it but probably not more than twice this season with my work schedule. I'll definitely give it a try if time allows.

Just talking with people in gun shops in my area led me to think Pinelog, it's only about a half hour away
Take eagles advice and go to warwoman(at least the first time). you want your 1st hunt ever to be successful, right? just my advice- leave 1-2hrs earlier&set the cruise control to 5mph more. you'll have fun either way but you can "skip a year in school" here

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old October 5, 2010, 01:23 AM   #9
therealdeal

Quote:
Compounding our problems was the fact that the AT (Appalachian Trail) bisected our hunting area, and firearms are prohibited on the trail. The AT rules apply 50yds on either side, if I remember correctly.
STRANGELOVE,

my dad has hiked the appalachian trail from maine to GA and multiple, other famous trails in America. I am trying to get him to carry a gun(for his safety), but at the moment he has only a buck knife. you can CCW or OC on these trails right?? Were you speaking of hunting because I thought these grounds were legal as of the 2010 law?

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old October 5, 2010, 01:25 AM   #10
BIG P

YES I have but the area is so big, in less you have a good bit of time to scout
its hard to find them.I have got 4 or 5 up there.WE went late in the season
could'nt find the hogs but got 2 pretty nice bears.If ya'll could get a forestery map it would help a lot there are miles of dirt roads.YOU can ride slow and watch for good crossings & rooting in the ditches hike in from there
locals may give you a hint where to start check the creeks & the heavest acorn drops they love the white oaks.oh my buddy uses a 30-06 150gr. sst and loves them.It is great place to hunt it just takes a while to find a special spot if you know what I mean
Old October 5, 2010, 03:25 AM   #11
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal
STRANGELOVE,

my dad has hiked the appalachian trail from maine to GA and multiple, other famous trails in America. I am trying to get him to carry a gun(for his safety), but at the moment he has only a buck knife. you can CCW or OC on these trails right?? Were you speaking of hunting because I thought these grounds were legal as of the 2010 law?
Well... Be very, very careful. Know your state laws. My answer before was based on 2009 GA and Federal law.

Be aware that state law can be more restrictive, but not more permissive than Federal law. Meaning, states, counties, towns can prohibit anything that Federal law allows, but they can't allow what Federal law prohibits.

Outside of military bases and Indian Reservations, state law trumps Federal law. If the state the AT (or any other trail, NP, etc.) is in prohibits CCW or OC, you can't do it, even though you are on Federal land. State law is what you have to worry about.

For short hikes in one area, research the rules and weigh the odds. The added weight of a firearm and the extremely small chance you will need it just don't make good sense. Better to spend the weight on a good GPS or camera.

For longer hikes like the AT - absolutely not. You're passing through so many states and different laws that it's not worth the risk.

I understand why you want your Dad to carry, but the hiker ethos and the various laws just make it a bad idea.

If you do insist, please be very careful to research the laws of all of the areas where you will be hiking.
Old October 5, 2010, 03:43 AM   #12
therealdeal

thank you dr strangelove,

my dad(and mom) said no when I mentioned their Christmas present last yr was going to be a firearm for HD. It has escalated now, as I have become a life member of the NRA and am big on the 2nd amendment+the belief that it is our responsibility to protect ourselves. Obviously, my dad is a grown man&can make these decisions himself(maybe this stems from a habit over the yrs). He hiked from cali to canada as well, but I can't remember the name of the trail. We're talking mountain lions, coyotes, and all kinds of stuff such as the occasional pyschopath ont he trail. I think that most of these places are legal now, but it seems odd to me that he is out there in the middle of nowhere with no protection. I worry his a$% is going to become a statistic. I have found out it is legal to give a firearm as a gift if both parties are lawfully able to acquire one, but I guess I could never do that to him without his consent. Lol.

http://www.handgunslaw.us/

this above site shows the laws for wild refuges, national parks, state parks, and so-on via all states so just click on it and scroll down to that part. Most are eligible now(most- not all). I have the disabled vet card too for anyone that didn't know. Next time you go to the grand canyon, lake macdonald in northern montana in glacier national park, or wherever: the card is good for LIFE and there is no charge(usually about 50bucks annually if you are an avid park guy). The card gets you on anywhere in the USA w/regards to national/state parks, etc, and this includes everyone within the vehicle. It Always helps to ask people about LE and/or military. That time I was told no to LE and military, but "we only have the disabled vet thing".

Old October 13, 2010, 01:47 PM   #13
Thomas

As far as what gun to use , I use a 30cal carbine and my cousin has a 44 carbine. The trick is to shoot them just behind the ear ,they drop like a sack of potatoes. We hunt on several properties down in south GA and go on a draw hunt on Ossabaw Island WMA. They have a ranger there that all he does is shoot pigs all year long and he uses a 22 magnum,but I dont think the public can use that small of a cal. My point is dont shoot them in the body if at all possible ,you get two good benifits from that ,clean kill , when you are gutting them less blood and you dont tear up any meat. That was three.
Good luck
Old October 15, 2010, 02:56 PM   #14
jmr40

You cannot just walk onto a WMA and hunt hogs at any time. Check the regs closely at www.gohuntgeorgia.com You can hunt hogs during small game season, but must only carry a gun legal for small game hunting. To use a centerfire rifle you must be hunting during one of the managed big game hunts. The dates are listed on the website, or in a brochure you can pick up where licenses are sold. Make sure you also have paid for a WMA stamp on your license.

The mountain WMA's have healthy hog populations. I's suggest a backpacking hunt into the Cohutta Wilderness. They had a managed hunt there last weekend and I say plenty of hog sign. Saw several there during archery season, but they were too far for a bow shot. The next big game hunt there is Dec. 1-5. They also have a special hog only hunt Feb 4-10 of 2011. You do not have to be drawn for any of these hunts. If you have the proper license, just sign at the check station and hunt.
Old October 15, 2010, 03:03 PM   #15
jmr40

Firearms on the AT are perfectly legal in Georgia if you are otherwise legal. The AT bisects several WMA's and backpacking hunters use the AT for access all the time. Until recently firearms were not legal on state parks, which parts of the trail bisect, but that law was recently changed. You can legally carry anywhere on the AT in Georgia, at any time of the year if you have a valid permit now.

Some park rangers are not up to date on laws, or try to convince people that things are not legal when they do not approve of the laws.
Old October 18, 2010, 07:37 PM   #16
Doyle

Leave the SSTs at home when hunting hogs. You'll do better with a bullet designed to hold together better. Those Federal Power Shoks will work just fine (and are cheaper too).