The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 11, 2010, 01:55 PM   #1
dkulka

Accutrigger too heavy

I just bought a new 25LV-T and the trigger pull is set to it's lightest setting. I was hoping for a lighter pull. My buddy has Savage 12FV and is considerably lighter. What can I do about it. File a little on a particular piece?
Target is about the only shooting I will be doing with the rifle.
Old June 13, 2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Ifishsum

I would NOT recommend filing anything on it - just a few strokes at the wrong angle will render it unsafe. A very light polishing of the sear surfaces shouldn't hurt if you know what you're doing.

I have several AT Savages and they all have improved somewhat after 1-200 rounds. Shooting a new trigger has the effect of polishing the mating sear surfaces and you may even start noticing a difference at 50 rounds.

IIRC, there are also at least two different springs for those triggers - one that is supposed to allow a minimum pull of 2.5 lbs and another that allows a minimum of 1.5 lbs. They are color coded and I don't remember which is which, but if you have the heavier spring you should be able to replace it with a lighter one. You might try googling SharpShooterSupply and see if they have the springs.

Last edited by Ifishsum; June 13, 2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old June 13, 2010, 07:40 PM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Accu Trigger

Shoot it ! The trigger will get better and you will get used to it . If after a few hundred rounds if it's not better , then is the time to fix it !
Old June 14, 2010, 12:05 PM   #4
dkulka

Thanks so much for the feed back. I have about 125 rounds thru the gun todate. I have not noticed an improvement.
I sure will look into a lighter spring. I haven't read anywhere but here that there are 2 differents springs used.
Old June 15, 2010, 09:22 AM   #5
langenc

Not to disagree but there was MUCH discussion about accu-triggers a few years ago. There were instructions as to how to lighten by shortening a certain spring. I dont have any references.