The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2006, 12:25 AM   #1
Tomas

Barnes XLCs grouping like crappola

Do I need to bump up the charge, or reduce it on these things. My .308, and my 7mm Mag are both grouping these bullets at 3+ inches at 100 yards, whereas the same wt Barnes in the flat base trim, without the blue coating, I can group at an inch or less.

Any insight on this elusive "blue pill" would be appreciated.

Tom
Old July 24, 2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Wildalaska

Change bullets, your gun either likes em or it doesnt, and your gun evidently doesnt

WildasfactsAlaska
Old July 24, 2006, 01:17 PM   #3
tINY

Are the bullets longer? They might be marginally stable.

Have you checked different charge weights? The coating changes the friction and you don't have the same muzzle velocity.

Also, how well did you clean the barrels? Are they factory barrels, or aftermarket barrels that were hand lapped? The reason is that the coated bullets don't leave behind copper in the roughness of the barrel to smooth it out, so you are always, essentially, shooting from a clean barrel. You may try shooting a half dozen copper bullets first and then trying the coated ones.

-tINY

Old July 30, 2006, 01:12 PM   #4
arizona hunter

Barnes XLC & the Book

Do you have the Barnes #3 manual? I bought it three years ago when I started using the blue babes. Not much sensxe in going any further unless you have that book and read their method on finding the right seating point for your rifle.

Once you find the right seating depth try Hodgdon H4350. My Interarms 30.06 shoots 180 XLC's well at low velocity up to even 58.0 gr. (2902 fps but the cases did not like it).
Finally settled on 57.0 gr. of H4350 and 2800 fps. Just yesterday I shot the usual 3/4" group.

My friend shots XLC in his 7mm-08 and gets results even better than mine.

Once you get the #3 manual & the right depth, reloading is easy.

Also, the Barnes Triple Shock is easier to reload and everyone I know that tries them says they are very accurate.
Old July 30, 2006, 02:21 PM   #5
amamnn

You might want to play with the bullet runout and see if there is a sweet spot closer to or further from the lands.