The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 11, 2013, 05:46 PM   #1
bswiv

Passing it on to the next generation.....just great!!

Officer Jason Hutchinson and K-9 Officer Mike Guy were working the Dellwood area after receiving a complaint of shots being fired from the roadway just after dark. After several hours of surveillance on the area, the two officers observed a vehicle enter a field and begin shining a spotlight. After several minutes, a single rifle shot was heard coming from the location of the vehicle. The officers stopped the vehicle as it tried to exit the field. After interviews were conducted of the two adults in the vehicle, it was discovered that the male subject driving the vehicle had held the spotlight on a deer and allowed his juvenile son to shoot at it. The adult male subject was cited for attempting to take deer at night and for providing false statements to law enforcement.

FWC
DIVISION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT
WEEKLY REPORT

I don't even know what to make of idiots like this. But I will say that they are the type of folks who.....oh well.....I'll leave it there. Except for this: Has that family tree even thought about branching??
Old January 11, 2013, 06:23 PM   #2
ChasingWhitetail91

Im gonna be the first to say its a far stretch from being inbreed and jacking deer at night. I would never spotlight a deer myself, but come on..express yourself a little better buddy
Old January 11, 2013, 07:17 PM   #3
bswiv

Chasing:

"Expressing"........you're right. I'm not the best wordsmith and in retrospect the attachment of a genetically based analogy for what is a learned behavior......well......that does not work to well.

Beyond that, genetics are unalterable ( at least for the most part, with the science we have now ) whereas bad learned behavior is a character flaw.

I'll be a bit more careful in using proper analogies in the future.
Old January 11, 2013, 07:24 PM   #4
ChasingWhitetail91

That's all I was trying to get across thank you. I wish they would have at the least put a good scare in to the juvenile to teach him such hunting ethics/tactics are intolerable. Many people hunt a whole season without getting a deer and take such defeats with their heads held high. Going out and poaching one at night is a big smack in the face to those of us who follow the laws season after season, deer or no deer.
Old January 11, 2013, 07:26 PM   #5
bswiv

""Going out and poaching one at night is a big smack in the face to those of us who follow the laws season after season, deer or no deer.""

Same page we're on down here..........
Old January 11, 2013, 08:15 PM   #6
buck460XVR

Several years ago, I had my youngest out for the youth turkey season. We had been working a Tom for about a hour on our first set up of the mornin' with him gobblin' at every call I made, but alas, the boy moved and the Tom saw him before he saw the Tom and it was game over. We were returning to the truck, walking along a gravel access road that dead ended at a small lake, when we heard a vehicle pull off the blacktop road onto the lane we were on. First thing the boy says is, "bet they're lookin' for that Tom that was gobblin' his head off!". As soon as the truck rounded a small corner and became visible, we saw a shotgun barrel being pulled back into the cab. When it passed we saw it was a dad driving the 4-door pick-up and his son was seated in the middle of the back seat with both windows open. It was pretty obvious to us both what was goin' on....and yes, it's illegal to shoot from a vehicle in Wisconsin. It's also illegal to have a loaded long gun in a vehicle unless you have a disabled hunter permit and have a sign posted to prove it. When the truck turned around at the lake and came by us again, it stopped and the dad asked if we had heard that Tom. I told him we had, but it was probably in the next county by now. I then looked in the back at the kid with the loaded gun across his lap. Back then it was also illegal to have a uncased gun in a vehicle. I asked him if had taken hunter safety and when he nodded yes, I said "then you know what you are doing is illegal?" The kid didn't answer, he just looked at his dad. Dad then got defensive and started making statements about it being a tuff hunt for a kid and that his boy really wanted to get a bird and the only birds they had seen all season were driving around. My reply was that no turkey was worth loosing my guns, my hunting privileges and a $35000 pickup....and the last thing I would want is a excited inexperienced hunter swingin' a loaded shotgun past the back of my head with his finger on the trigger. Funny part was, according to the dad as they left, I was the one being a butt-hole. Yep....he too was "passin' it on!"
Old January 11, 2013, 09:54 PM   #7
shortwave

Got some neighbors that will literally shoot anything...any time...in season or not. They've got two teenage boys that are carrying on 'the family tradition'. Don't have to worry about one of the boys for the next couple years. He'll be a ward of the state for awhile.

So sad when a moron adult has no hunting ethics(or any other ethics for that matter) but to actually teach the kids their criminal ways is just un-speakable. These kids are our next generation criminals with no regard for the law.

This is the trash in our society that insures the LE profession and the reason we must fight to retain our 2nd Amendment rights.

The dad should be locked up for a long time and the juvenile punished as well.

Rant off!
Old January 11, 2013, 10:33 PM   #8
5.56RifleGuy

I don't know much about hunting, but I just wanted to know. Why is it illegal to spot light a deer?
Old January 11, 2013, 11:03 PM   #9
globemaster3

In some states, its not, as long as you do not have a weapon in the vehicle. Combine light and weapon, and now you have poaching in most places I have been.

Funny part is when I was stationed in New Jersey, we had a huge deer problem. We had aircraft having to stop on taxiways to allow the deer to pass, aircraft having to execute go arounds because of deer on the runways, etc. The straw that broke the camel's back was one of my C-141s taking a deer strike during a touch-and-go. $90K in damage! They went looking for volunteers to solve the problem. I raised my hand first and got the job.

To make a very long story short, we worked with the state to develop our plan and would use spotlights at night combined with 12 GA 3" 00 Buck to thin the herds on base. Shot more deer in that assignment than I ever dreamed. All the meat went to enlisted families on base who signed up for free venison, which was a great option after Hunters for the Hungry couldn't handle the load out of season.

Made me sick, though. There was no game, no sport to it. Just pure killing. Needed to be done, though, for the safety of our aircraft/crews/passengers, but being an ethical hunter, it was a challenge to my conscience! In the end, we significantly trimmed back the herds in question and stopped having problems by the time I left.

Last edited by globemaster3; January 11, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:08 PM   #10
sc928porsche

I got a deer at night once with lights. No joy there. Tow fee and body parts cost a bundle.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:09 PM   #11
5.56RifleGuy

Ok. What makes killing an animal poaching? Is it because its seen as being unfair to shoot an animal while using a spotlight?
Old January 11, 2013, 11:17 PM   #12
globemaster3

When you put that spotlight on them, their eyes reflect the light, making them easy to see. Being curious, they just freeze and stand there, trying to figure out what that big obnoxious light is. Takes all the sport out of it, almost like shooting fish in a barrel. Hence, illegal in most states.

@sc928porsche, same assignment, did the same thing with my wife's minivan on the way to pick up a pilot training classmate who was stopping through overnight on a cross country flight. Most expensive venison I ever had! And a great shock for my friend when I showed up at his hotel with my truck, dead deer, and the question "Guess what we're doing tonight?"
Old January 11, 2013, 11:20 PM   #13
5.56RifleGuy

But what if you are doing it because you legitimately need the meat? I'm not trying to be rude, I am just seeking to understand the rule.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:25 PM   #14
globemaster3

If you legitimately need the meat, aka your family is starving and if you don't kill this animal, they are done, the law doesn't make an exception that I am aware of. Out of season tags, perhaps. Even use of spotlights for conservation tags on farms I have heard of. But just Bubba need to put meat in the freezer? Not too sure about that.

Now, that being said, I have heard of more than 1 LEO who turned his back on a known impoverished family in those circumstances.

The legal solution is to shoot one legally. If your family is going to starve, there are assistance programs the state and federal government sponsor to take care of those things. WIC and food stamps being 2 I know of.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:29 PM   #15
5.56RifleGuy

Alright, thank you for the information.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:54 AM   #16
globemaster3

@ BSWIV,sorry for the thread hijacking. We should have taken those questions to PMs.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:18 AM   #17
Creek Henry

I dunno; I have been hunting on public lands many times and most weekend mornings I can see a man (or group of men) and a youngin' or two with them and the men are all drinking silver bullets. This REALLY annoys me. Besides it being dawn and slightly early to drink, how does telling your kids that drinking and guns go together is okay? Also, dammit, drink a good beer if you are going to be an alchy.

Just a thought...
Old January 21, 2013, 11:39 AM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

DLiller, the whole deal is about fair chase of a game animal. Nothing at all fair about using a light at night. It's just flat-out cheating.

As far as the "kill for the need of food" argument, forget that. Not with food banks and food stamps. And with the money from picking up aluminum cans along roadsides. Or doing yard work, for that matter.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:35 PM   #19
rickyrick

It depends on the animal, usually "eatin animals" it's a legal no-no.

But I have no issue with nuiesence animals, especially those that do their deeds at night.

Texas regulation.

Quote:
Non-protected nongame animals and fur-bearing animals may be hunted at night with the aid of an artificial light on private property. If hunting at night, please make a courtesy telephone call to your local game warden.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:43 PM   #20
horatioo

Quote:
about fair chase of a game animal.
I want to shoot a deer next year. I have some land where deer are. I am going to build a deer blind up there this summer. Probably a ten by ten foot building with a bed and some heat. Somewhere I can sit comfortably for hours and easily wait for a deer.

I am going to have a bull dozer come in and scrape clean an area about 50 feet wide by a couple hundred yards long. It has been cleared before but has grown up. I will plant it with peas and probably put up a deer feeder. I want to figure out a way to have water there.

Anyway, my point is I want to make it a place where I am pretty certain to get a deer. That doesnt seem very fair to the deer. Am I wrong?
Old January 22, 2013, 02:20 AM   #21
shortwave

Quote:
Anyway, my point is I want to make it a place where I am pretty certain to get a deer. That doesnt seem very fair to the deer. Am I wrong?
Is what you're doing legal in your state?

Fair chase means hunting legal in your state and not shooting animals that are penned in a small enclosure waiting to be released with the gunner standing by the fence gate.

I live in the middle of the woods and can shoot a deer most any day of the year from inside the house. It's not illegal here to do so during deer hunting season. I've killed three or four does out of the kitchen window over the years to put venison in the freezer and will probably shoot a few more as the years go by. By no means do I feel this is hunting but rather killing a deer to eat. IMO, nothing wrong with legally killing a deer to eat.

Hunting to me, is the cat and mouse game I play with a certain buck I've picked out earlier in the year or one I've chased for a couple years trying to use my skills in the woods to outsmart him. Would I shoot him out the kitchen window? No.
Would I hunt for him over a food plot whether it be one I planted, the neighbors corn or soybean field or a natural food plot made up of a stand of hickories...YEP. Would I hunt him over his fav. watering hole... Yep. Do I think it's fair to use this bucks natural sex drive against himself and hunt for him where the does are going to be because I know sooner or later he will probably show up trying to court one of the does...Yep.

Everyone has their own opinion/morals/convictions when it comes to hunting. As long as you are doing it within the boundaries of the law where you hunt, let your conscience be your guide.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:45 AM   #22
Pahoo

shortwave + 1

This is why they call it hunting as oppose to killing. If I measured my involment in hunting, by my kills, I would have quit a long time ago. ...

Hunt and;
Be safe !!!
Old January 22, 2013, 12:05 PM   #23
Pahoo

Giving back, something positive.

One of the main reasons I became a Hunter Safety instructor, is to give somethng back to this "way of life" and to help young hunters develope an Ethical Code of Conduct. You see, I started out my early hunting years, making my own rules. I threw in with a bunch of teenage outlaws and eventually we wound up in jail. .....

Quite often when teaching hunting ethics, I mention some of the dirty tricks we use to pull. During these times, I will catch a young student, slowly glancing up at his Father. I smile when the Father doesn't return the glance. ..

Quote:
I don't know much about hunting, but I just wanted to know. Why is it illegal to spot light a deer?
Then first learn about hunting ethics and fair-chase. ...
In Iowa and for sure, other states, it's illegal to hunt by using a "cast-Light". This would include lazers. I believe coon hunting is exempt.

Be Safe !!!
Old January 22, 2013, 01:47 PM   #24
rickyrick

I figure if you own the land and the kill is for a source of meat, not necessarily for recreation or sport, it doesn't bother me what means that you use to take the animal, as long as no cruelty involved. I feel with recreational hunts, you should follow rules.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:21 PM   #25
buck460XVR

Quote:
As long as you are doing it within the boundaries of the law where you hunt, let your conscience be your guide.
This. While ethics can and do vary greatly between individuals, the laws in your state apply to everyone the same. One cannot be prosecuted for their ethics as long as they are legal. Seasons, bag limits, hunting hours and legal means are not ethics and are not arbitrary. Don't matter if it's for fun, sport, or the meat. Very few folks in the lower 48 will starve to death if they don't poach. Around here the fine is $1800 for shooting a illegal deer, plus the loss of your firearm and if the animal was placed in your vehicle, you'll probably lose that too. Free venison is donated by sportsmen, can be obtained from game wardens when illegal deer are confiscated and deer hit by motor vehicles are free for the asking. Yet folks still insist that buck in the back of their new F250 that they shot outta season was to feed their family.........