The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 10:48 PM   #1
dakota.potts

Anti-Gunners buying violent video games

I just came across this video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeIHH0XEs6E

I suggest you watch it if you can stand the way the guy talks. He has some pretty smart (although semantic things to say).

Basically, he is drawing this line of reasoning: Many video games include detailed, realistic depictions of firearms. I have never played Medal of Honor but I believe you can choose an AR 15 platform (right down to the brand) and accessories any way you want.

Well, in order to cast these replicas, they actually have to buy licenses from the companies. These licenses put money in the hands of gun makers. Therefore, for a person who is rabidly anti-gun and thinks we should not support the gun industry, is it hypocrital for them to buy video games such as Call of Duty and Battlefield?

A very interesting line of reasoning I think.
Old May 13, 2013, 01:31 AM   #2
Buzzcook

Doesn't sound like a way to "win friends and influence people".

Great excuse to say neener neener neener to people we disagree with though.

Companies are so interconnected and ownership so nebulous it's hard to say if a royalty a S&W, for instance, goes to the gun maker or the company that owns the gun maker.

Sometimes you have to accept that part of your actions may have negative consequences. It's just part of living in the world.
Old May 13, 2013, 01:53 AM   #3
dakota.potts

I wasn't planning to argue this line of reasoning with my friends haha. You are right in that regard. I'm a semantic person so this is interesting to consider for me
Old May 13, 2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

While an interesting line of thought, the connection to firearms in this thread is pretty tenuous. It's more about intellectual property, trademarks, and corporate structures.

Accordingly, closed.