The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 11, 2012, 09:53 PM   #26
243winxb

2nd photo, right shell = concave Shell Head
Old February 12, 2012, 04:28 PM   #27
TheKlawMan

Quote:
2nd photo, right shell = concave Shell Head
I think that you may be looking at an illusion created by my poor camera skills. [Added by edit: That or I wonder if you are looking at the dished in central area of the shot head. If so, I believe that is normal for Remington Gun Clubs.] Placing a straight edge up against the FTF and the one you spotted, which fired without incident, the heads look nice and flat. There is a minute amount of rocking of the straight edge due to how the primer rim grabs the outside of the shell head.

Not really knowing what I am doing, I grabbed 6 random shotshells that had fired without incident and deprimed them before shecking them for head flatness. All were true.

Like I said, this is only 2 failures over the last 800 reloads, but both were one out of the last two primer packs. If I continue to experience faiures at a rate of 1% or if the rate increases, I may take Weatherby's advice and take the gun to Browning's warranty smith. I may also call Winchester to see if they experienced a high rate of FTF with the lot. Still, the rate may drop off in which case I won't worry about it.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; February 12, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old February 13, 2012, 02:37 PM   #28
BigJimP

Winchester won't tell you anything.../ they're too afraid of lawsuits...and "insinuations, that they may have a proble"...

Switch to a different kind of primer ...like Remington or CCI ...and see if the problem continues.....

If it does ....then I would get the gun over to Browning and let them look at it ...its too new a gun / too good a gun to have this kind of an issue costing you misses...and getting into your head...
Old February 13, 2012, 08:55 PM   #29
TheKlawMan

Getting into my head is easy right now. Unfortunatley, I have 4,200 primers left out of a 5,000 primer sleeve. Still, if the problem continues, I will buy a thousand primers of another brand to see if that stops. If not, I agree, its off to Browning. Meanwhile, I will call Browning to register the fact that I am having a problem with a relatively new gun.
Old February 24, 2012, 08:22 PM   #30
TheKlawMan

I finally remembered to try to fire that FTF from my top barral today. I tried it twice and even thought the indentation in the primer was a liitle deeper than that left by the bottom firing pin, it just wouldn't go boom.

One thing someone pointed out to me in a PM. If I understand them, the depth of a pin strike as observed in a expended shotshell is not really indicative of force of the firing pin strike. The strike itself is nothing like how deep the indentation you see on a fired The pin impression in an expended shell is as deep as it is because the force that propels shot down the tube also shoves the base of the hull and the primer hard against the face of the breech and the protruding firing pin.