The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 15, 2006, 12:45 AM   #1
stephen426

Getting into hunting

Hi guys. I'm looking into getting into hunting and will probably start with wild boar. I think I will go on a guided hunt since it is my first time. I believe that the guides will be using dogs. This will most likely be in the Central Florida area near Lake Okechobee. I'm not sure what size they get up to and would like some information on what would be my ideal weapon and what type of ammo I should use.

I have a Remington 870 and recently purchase a Sako 75 in .30-06. I plan to carry my Ruger GP-100 in .357 mag as backup. I heard that dog hunts typically involve shorter range shots where shotguns are ideal. For boar, should I use slugs or buck shot. I heard those things are really tough and I'd be concerned about penetration from buck shot. At the same time, I don't want to hit the guide's dogs.

I'd aprecciate any info and wisdom you guys can pass on. If anyone from the south Florida area is interested in going, maybe we can get something organized.
Old October 15, 2006, 01:43 AM   #2
timothy75

I'd go with the slugs although it will destoy a lot of meat. You mentioned getting into it so if the first time goes well you might consider a mini 30 at a later time. Good luck and have fun.
Old October 15, 2006, 09:04 AM   #3
22-rimfire

30-06 and 357 for back up. Be sure to shoot the 30-06 some to get used to it. If you have a variable scope on it, I would keep it set on a low power (4x or under). It is possible you may have to take a quick shot.
Old October 15, 2006, 11:04 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've noticed that the average automobile can carry both a rifle and a shotgun without exceeding the GVW. So, me, I'd take both along on the trip.

But I'd definitely use slugs. No way on this earth a clean hit would hurt enough edible meat to cost a sandwich's worth. And, anyway, I'd bet a bad hit with an '06 would make a bigger mess than a shotgun slug.

For the .357, most folks use a lead bullet with a large meplat; around 158-grain, maybe heavier.

Art
Old October 15, 2006, 05:10 PM   #5
springmom

One thought: check with the ranch where you'll be hunting. One private ranch, where we hunted hogs this fall, does not allow shotguns. DK why. But we took our rifles and sidearms.

You're paying the guide some decent bucks for his opinion. I'd ask him what is best for the area you're hunting and do that.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 15, 2006, 07:09 PM   #6
Capp35

Funny how in Florida you can use dogs for hunting deer.
Here in Texas it will get ya hung!
Old October 15, 2006, 07:26 PM   #7
Mannlicher

my 870 likes Brenneke slugs. Despite what some say, you most likely will not 'destroy a lot of meat'. Hunting lore is full of old wives tales.
Shoot the hog behind the shoulder, or from the front, where the leg meets the body. Your goal is to get that big slug in the boiler room. Should be a one shot kill.
I would prefer the 30/06, but the shottie is good for up close and quick shots.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old October 16, 2006, 02:15 AM   #8
stephen426

Thanks for the replies guys

The place I am thinking about going is pretty unusual. They pretty much allow any weapon to be used on the hogs, even samurai swords. I have to find the website again... its on my other computer. The other outfit I found offer hunts with bows, shotguns, or rifles. I will probably bring both the rifle and shotgun along for the ride, but I sure as heck don't plan to carry both of them out with me.

For hog hunts using dogs, I understand the range the hogs are shot at are pretty close. In that case, in think the shotgun would be far better than the rifle. Am I correct? A buddy of mine even suggested using the .357 mag since the hogs in FL don't get as big. I will probably go with the shotgun with slugs and the .357 mag as backup.

Capp35: The dogs are for the hog hunt, not the deer.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old October 17, 2006, 02:11 AM   #9
stephen426

Hi guys. Thanks for the info you already provided. Could you please give me your opinions on some scopes for my new rifle? A buddy of mine told me about Leupold's excellent lifetime warrenty. Their prices seem pretty reasonable for a high quality scope.

I was thinking about getting the 3-9x40 VX-II. I figured I go with a variable scope for more versatility and the 40mm objective as a good balance between brightness, weight, and price. I think the 3-9x power should be a good range considering I am not planning to take any really long ranges shots since I am new to hunting.

I would also appreciate it if you guys could tell me where I might get a good deal on scopes. My friend recommended www.swfa.com. Their prices seem pretty ggod. Is there better out there?

Also, if you guys have any other suggestions, please share them.
Old October 17, 2006, 11:10 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've probably used more Leupolds than other brands. Most of them are the old Vari-X II; one's even older, being pre-Vari-X. I guess the 3x9x40 is overall the most useful. Walking hunting at 3X; sitting-hunting at 5X, +/-; sighting in and load testing at 9X.

I figure any scope that works just fine with over 3,000 rounds of '06 bouncing it around can't be all bad. And surviving unplanned descents of steep slopes, or bouncing in a pickup on jeep trails is pretty good testing, as well.

Art
Old October 18, 2006, 12:41 PM   #11
Capp35

Quote:
Capp35: The dogs are for the hog hunt, not the deer.
No, I have friends that live in Northern Florida. (near Pierson)
Dogs are legal to hunt deer there. In fact there are clubs there that use dogs solely for the hunt.