The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 25, 2014, 03:22 PM   #1
Dirty_Harry

Ruger SR556E state compliant

I have been wanting a Ruger SR556 for some time now. On Target in Kalamazoo has a bunch of the State compliant E models. I know it doesnt have the flashider and the stock is pinned (I would change it eventually anyway), but is there anything ales that would leave me wanting about that model? I have plenty of mags, and while the flashider looks cooler......is it that big of a deal?

Thanks

P.S. It is a significant price savings.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old February 25, 2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Fishbed77

You could get the barrel threaded (about a $60-$75 by a gunsmith). An A2 flash hider is only about $7 or so. Personally, I think a muzzle device is nice to have on this type of rifle if only to protect the crown.

You may need to replace the buffer tube to use an adjustable stock (not sure how Ruger fixes the stock).

Does this model have the stupid California "bullet button"? If so, figure the cost to replace the mag catch.
Old February 25, 2014, 10:32 PM   #3
Dirty_Harry

I am pretty sure it doesnt have the bullet button.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old February 26, 2014, 09:10 AM   #4
Corrections Cop

I've seen the regular one at gander mountain in Lansing. I've never heard of anything "state compliant" here in MI.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:15 AM   #5
Dirty_Harry

I am assuming they "accidentally" ordered them.

Old February 26, 2014, 10:15 AM   #6
MK11

Interesting. Sounds like stuff that used to be available in CT and NY being sold in other states just to get rid of inventory.

Anyway, as mentioned, you can get the barrel threaded with a muzzle device installed. Careful with the stock--they often look like pinned adjustables but were really one piece stocks. Neither one is a big deal to change if the savings are really significant. The guns perform just fine.
Old March 12, 2014, 03:32 PM   #7
Dirty_Harry

Just a quick update.

While I see a Ruger SR556 in my future, I went a different direction. I just sent payment on a brand new Daniel Defense DDM4V1. I found one for $1200 OTD. (there is one more, PM for info)

I already have an Eotech 512 I am going to mount on it. I am also putting a larue tactical riser for the Eotech. I cant afford a trigger right now, but that will come.

Any other upgrade suggstions?

Old March 12, 2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
While I see a Ruger SR556 in my future, I went a different direction. I just sent payment on a brand new Daniel Defense DDM4V1.
You made a good choice. The Ruger rifles are nice enough, but I'd choose a DD over them every time.