The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 26, 2013, 04:23 PM   #1
roklok

Customized M1A stock with removable cheek riser

I posted a video on YouTube showing modifications I made to an M1A stock. I covered the operating rod, made a fuller pistol grip, and made a removable cheek piece riser for scope use. I never liked the other cheek piece options, and decided to make my own, I am very pleased with how it turned out.

If you have an M1A and want another cheekpiece option for scope use, check the video out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3B1z...ature=youtu.be
Old April 29, 2013, 12:11 PM   #2
roklok

Here is a picture for those not wanting to take the time to view video. The cheekpiece attaches and detaches quickly by use of 1/4 inch spring detent pins, which fit into aluminum tubing set into comb of stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S7300465.jpg (243.8 KB, 39 views)
Old April 30, 2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Straitshot

Great job. I have an M1A that has the walnut stock and I mounted a scope on it. I want to make a cheek piece for it out of a piece of walnut I have. My idea has been along the same line as yours but I haven't figured out how I want to mount it. I am not for sure if I want to drill holes in my walnut stock so I have thought about trying velcro over the comb and in the dished out side of the cheek piece. I am not sure how ridged it will be until I try. You have inspired me to get to work. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 1, 2013, 09:29 AM   #4
roklok

I can understand your hesitation, it would take more nerve to drill into walnut. With the fiberglass, if the holes are off a bit, they can be filled with epoxy and painted. With walnut, it would definitely be a measure thrice, drill once deal, preferably with a drill press and vise.

I set and epoxied the aluminum pillars and detent pins together into the stock as a unit, then mounted the cheekpiece onto the exposed upper portion of detent pins, while detent pins were mounted in the stock. This ensured that the detent balls on the pins were engaged with the holes I drilled into side wall of tubing while the epoxy in the cheekpiece hardened around the pins.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:53 PM   #5
sailskidrive

I didn't want to drill holes in my walnut stock so I went with one of these:

http://www.bradleycheekrest.com/

The mount is really solid, adjustable, and doesn't move around at all.

Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230

Last edited by sailskidrive; May 1, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:57 PM   #6
sailskidrive

Old May 1, 2013, 02:04 PM   #7
roklok

That does look like it would be a lot sturdier than most strap on cheekrests, because of the form fitted "saddle" that covers most of the butt stock.