The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2012, 07:40 AM   #1
rebs

223 bolt action reloading

I am considering buying a bolt action 223 rifle. Is it a good or bad idea to reload for it using Lake City 5.56 brass ? I mean since my dies will size to 223, it should be ok right ?
Old December 25, 2012, 10:00 AM   #2
PAdutchman

It's not an issue. 223 & 5.56 are dimensionally the same. The 5.56 is simply loaded by the military to higher pressures then the 223 is loaded to. I use both brass with no differences.
Old December 25, 2012, 10:03 AM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

I use a lot of LC brass in my bolt action. It works just the same.

I suggest the Lee Deluxe Dies. With the Collet die, and the Dead Length seating die. There is a full length sizing die in there as well. They will load some great ammo.
Old December 25, 2012, 11:21 AM   #4
A_Gamehog

Actually you might open another can-of-worms.

Military lake City brass has a crimp in primer. If you are new to .223 reloading it can be an additional expense and problem to deal with.

My Go-to .223 brass is lake city, my best groups have been shot with Lake city.

I find the Military crimp is not worth the effort. Even after you have processed everything you own you will still have trouble with 1 out of 50 with a tight primer pocket. Natchez has the .223 civilian LC brass on sale (prior to the current panic) for 120 per K. It gives long life and if you lose one in a match you don't look twice for it like Lapua$ or Norma$.

Just my 2 cents.
Old December 25, 2012, 04:59 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

If you do not have a way to remove the primer crimp then you can buy the Lyman reamer for under $30. I have heard good things about the RCBS Swagge kit as well, though I am cheap I use the Lyman chucked in a low speed drill. takes a couple of seconds per case.
Old December 25, 2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Okcafe86

I love LC, best of all its everywhere.
A-GANG/LOWER LEVEL MAFIA
Old December 25, 2012, 05:17 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

My faves to use so far are Hornady cases. They do not have to have the pockets reamed. They need little trimming. I will go out of my way to pick them up at the range. They give a lot of firings before needing to be trimmed, and pockets seem to hold tight for a lot of firings as well.

I admit I only trim .223 Brass once when I get it home after full length sizing it. (All is range pick up.) I neck size after the first firing. When they seem like they need a little more effort to close the bolt. I then scrap the lot. (Use 100 cases at time.) I get a lot of firings out of them, and have thousands of cases. Instead of trying to see how many times I can load a case till the primer pocket blows out, or the case head shears off I shoot till they need to be full length resized then scrap them, and start over.

In two years I have filled a two gallon wash pail with scrap cases. I fire about 100 on average out of my bolt gun a week. I average 10 reloads per lot of cases. Not bad for free brass.
Old December 25, 2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&p45acp10+1
If you do not have a way to remove the primer crimp then you can buy the Lyman reamer for under $30. I have heard good things about the RCBS Swagge kit as well, though I am cheap I use the Lyman chucked in a low speed drill. takes a couple of seconds per case.
I have the RCBS Swagger. Did 1000 rounds of military brass for a friend and then loaded them on my Dillon 550. No problem seating primers.
Old December 26, 2012, 08:04 AM   #9
rebs

Thank you for the replies. I already have over 1500 LC that I have processed and crimp removed, I just wasn't sure about using it in a bolt rifle.