The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 1, 2012, 11:08 PM   #1
cordesr1

Stock Finish/ Refinish?

I have a four year old Winchester Super X2 Sporting. The stock is in perfect shape no ding or scratches. The Stock was considered a satin finish when it was new. I Shoot the gun a fare amount (150/week) and have noticed that the palm swell and rear of the fore end have acquired a high gloss finish. I shoot in leather palmed shooting gloves and i know this is the cause.

My question is, What is the safe way to give the rest of the gun a high gloss finish?

Thanks, RJC
Old March 2, 2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Chris_B

Well, since your soft leather gloves did the polishing before and it caused no ills, I'd polish it...rub rub rub. I might even try a rotary buffer like I use for my car, but I have a fair amount of experience with buffing and it might be very easy to 'burn' your gunstock if you're novice at buffing.

Is the stock an oil finish?
Old March 4, 2012, 11:11 AM   #3
publius

Maybe lightly sand the whole stock and but an overcoat of boiled linseed/ tung oil on? Hopefully Bill Deshivs will reply to this post. He is the man on stuff like this.
Old March 4, 2012, 07:06 PM   #4
PetahW

A light rub/polish with automotive Polishing (not the more abrasive Rubbing) Compound - available at most home & auto stores, and in the automotive departments of wally world, and krapmart.

Old March 4, 2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Pahoo

More than one way to skin this cat !!

Quote:
A light rub/polish with automotive Polishing (not the more abrasive Rubbing) Compound
Yes, and there are similar products. One of which is a product called Novis #1 and Novis #2. These are plastic polishes. They also sell a plastic polish that you use to polish plastic or resin vanity tops and sinks, I just can't recall it's name. ....

One very important point, is to go slowly and not be too aggressive. You need to be careful of working any protruding edges, like the edges of a cheek rest. These are areas where the finish is the thinnest and easily removed down to the wood. Take it in small steps and remember that you are actually removing some of the finish. Complete the job with a good application of paste wax. I use neutral Kiwi shoe polish. .....

Be Safe !!!