The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 2, 2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Raytor

Suggestion on semi auto 22

I just bought a Kahr P380, a Sig 238 and an LCP for concealed carry. With the shortage and expense of 380ACP I hate to use up what I have been able to stockpile. I notice that 22LR is pretty much available and cheap.

What would be the best 22LR semi autiomatic to practice with that will have roughly the trigger pull and pointing of the little carry pistols?
I see that the Walther P22 is SA/DA and may accomplish this.

Which have you tried?
Old November 2, 2009, 09:05 AM   #2
QBall45

I've had pleasent range time spent with both Buckmarks & Ruger MKII's. Heard mixed reviews on the walter & sig's misquito. Not sure what to make of these mixed reviews. Some were "this is the best I've ever shot I'm going to buy another" and others were more like "I can't believe they put out such garbage"

If you like the feel of the Walter...go buy it.

Another option to concider is a 22 conversion for your sig. I'm not sure if they make one for your model, but its worth looking into. This way you would have same grip & trigger...

As Clint Smith would say, "Do something, it might be wrong, but do something"
Old November 2, 2009, 09:16 AM   #3
pilpens

not sure if this will help.
I use to have a 22 conversion for my 1911 45. Recoil and feel was too different that I considered it two different pistols.
Sold the conversion after a couple of hundred rounds. I use my buckmark or ruger MKII for practice.
It may not be the same with the smaller pistols.
Old November 2, 2009, 09:21 AM   #4
JWT

The Ruger Mark II or III and Browning Buckmark are very nice and affordable .22s.

CZ makes a .22 great conversion kit for their 9mms that function well and is a snap to convert. A bit more money, unless you already have a CZ, but a very versatile set up once you have one.
Old November 2, 2009, 10:40 AM   #5
rsxr22

the P22 isnt a bad option

Im not crazy about the Sig mosquito because of the crappy trigger

My 2 Favs: Browning Buckmark and Ruger MKIII, i have the 22/45 variant
Old November 2, 2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Brian48

The Ruger MK series are great .22lr pistols, but if I read your post correctly, you're looking for something that approximates the size, weight, and feel of your carry guns, correct? Given that, the Walther P22 is not a bad choice (love mine), but it still has a feel of it's own so I'm not sure how much of an approximation that you'll get out of it. It's a fun and inexpensive gun to use at the range though.
Old November 2, 2009, 11:54 AM   #7
dondavis3

I like both Browning Buck Marks' and Ruger MKIII.

I've shot them both a lot.

I currently own a Browning Buck Mark.

Both are excellent auto's
Old November 2, 2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Raytor

Yeah, the Browning and Ruger are great 22LR simis and I would love to have either one but as Brian48 noted I want something similar to my mouse guns that I listed so that I can practice on a regular basis but I am running through my 380 stash faster than it comes in. 22LR is pretty abundant and I can burn through that stuff all day. Right now I am practicing trigger control and point and shoot techniques and the Browning and Ruger are just too different to help me that much - The biggest gripe I hear about the Walther P22 is there is no real steel in it - just "toy gun" metal. That's a worry.

What about the Beretta 87 Cheeta? Any comments?

Last edited by Raytor; November 2, 2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: sp
Old November 2, 2009, 02:06 PM   #9
gyvel

The breechblock and barrel in the SIG Mosquito are steel, but the remainder of the slide is an alloy. Does anyone know if it's aluminum or pot metal?
Old November 2, 2009, 03:00 PM   #10
PointOneSeven

The 87 is really expensive for a .22 and is also a target pistol like the rugers and buckmarks. Not really a close approximation to your carry guns.

The Sig and Walther are the closest things in regards to carry gun feel short of buying a .22 lr conversion for a pistol.

I did have a Beretta 21a Bobcat that was a fun little pocket pistol. It might be similar in handling to your LCP. Jam-o-matic, but still fun.
Old November 2, 2009, 05:39 PM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
What would be the best 22LR semi autiomatic to practice with that will have roughly the trigger pull and pointing of the little carry pistols?
I see that the Walther P22 is SA/DA and may accomplish this.
I tried out a P22 a few weeks ago and came back more impressed than I thought I would be. The P22 is fun, fun, fun. I really liked the trigger and controls. It's light and compact, and feels a lot like many centerfire "pocket pistols"- FWIW it feels exactly like the new Walther PK380, by design, other than the latter gun's somewhat baffling lack of a manual slide stop.

The gun does have its drawbacks, though.
  • Mag release paddles are different than just about any other common centerfire handgun apart from other Walthers.
  • Slide-mounted safeties are liked by some, disliked by others. YMMV.
  • The gun is so small it can be clumsy to handle if you have large hands. OTOH this can be a good thing if you're training for a similarly-small centerfire handgun.
  • It only comes with one mag.
  • It is NOT a match pistol. It is NOT as accurate as a similarly-priced base-model Ruger MkIII, Buckmark, or S&W 22A. Its price does, however, undercut the fancier versions of these pistols.
It's on my shopping list. The PK380 may also go on there once I get to try one out.
Old November 2, 2009, 05:44 PM   #12
JWT

I have a P22 and it has functioned flawlessly since I bought it a couple years ago. I have several thousand rounds through the little gun and it is fun to shoot. More of a plinker than a target gun due to it's size. A decent gun for the price IMO. If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive gun to practice with it's worth looking at.
Old November 2, 2009, 06:33 PM   #13
6x6pinz

My FEG SMC 22LR and my Llama 22lr are about as close to what you are looking for. I know some really don't care for the Llama but mine is older than most of those posters and has never let me down. My FEG is great practice piece for my Walther ppk/s.
Old November 2, 2009, 08:03 PM   #14
jontz

I have a Sig Mosquito, and unless you like paying for CCI MiniMags, avoid this gun. It won't feed anything else, and it will just **** you off if you try. I've heard good about the Walther though.
Old November 2, 2009, 09:47 PM   #15
Raytor

OKAY - I've made a choice

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I went around town to the various shops and they had a good selection of the Rugers and Brownings but they are more target pistols - not very similar to the little pocket jobs I am trying to replicate. There were no Beretta 87's so I bought the Walther P22.
Despite all of the criticism, it's just a practice piece and the price was good. The feel is quite like the little ones and it's DA/SA so I can mimic the DA LCP and Kahr as well as the SA Sig. Of course the best thing was shelves full of 22LR for $2 and $3 a box. All I have been buying lately is 380ACP, 9mm Luger and 45 Long Colt so imagine what a treat lots of cheap ammo is.
I appreciate all of the input and can't wait to get out there and try the P22.
Old November 3, 2009, 01:36 AM   #16
Venom1956

Sigh... seems like it was only last year a 50 box of .22 was 99 cents... wait...
Old November 3, 2009, 04:07 PM   #17
bakon

I just bought a Kahr P380, a Sig 238 and an LCP for concealed carry.

Aren't you lucky. How about a new post comparing them.
Old November 3, 2009, 04:54 PM   #18
MemphisJim

I bought my first Mosquito, Sport model, 2-1/2 years ago to use as a training and muscle memory practice piece for my P229 "carry" pistol. My first range session was less than satisfacory because I shot only bulk stuff I had on hand. I re-read the instructions, cleaned it thoroughly and lubricated it well. Next session I took MiniMags and it performed flawlessly. Then I shot only MiniMags for about the next 1000 rounds at range sessions (again with no problems) before trying other ammo brands. It now shoots Federal and Winchester high velocity bulk without a hiccup. Last year a disgruntled owner traded his basic model back to my gun dealer, calling the Skeeter a "piece of ****." I took it off the dealer's hands, cleaned it thoroughly (something the first owner didn't even do right out of the box), lubed it well and gave it the same treatment I had given the Sport -- with exactly the same results. I now use it as the muscle memory and shooting trainer as I've added a red dot to the Sport and it drives tacks. I also have a Ruger MkII 22/45 heavy barrel with red dot. Hands down, it's my most accurate shooter. Like the Skeeters, it's real easy to disassemble and clean. Unlike the Skeeters, it's a real pain in the tush to properly re-assemble on first pass. I love 'em all...but for everyday shooting and plinking, the Skeeters get the call. FWIW: Sig Forum has some extensive threads on Mosquitos and how to get the most out of them.
Old November 3, 2009, 06:10 PM   #19
jontz

Quote:
The breechblock and barrel in the SIG Mosquito are steel, but the remainder of the slide is an alloy. Does anyone know if it's aluminum or pot metal?
It is made out of zink alloy...AKA pot metal.
Old November 3, 2009, 08:02 PM   #20
varoadking

A Firestorm .22 is somewhat close to the size you're after, but they are a bit ammo picky, and mine tends to shoot a bit lower than I'd like.
Old November 5, 2009, 02:00 PM   #21
Raytor

Quote:
I just bought a Kahr P380, a Sig 238 and an LCP for concealed carry.

Aren't you lucky. How about a new post comparing them.
OK, I'll start a new thread

Last edited by Raytor; November 5, 2009 at 03:28 PM.