The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 6, 2009, 09:21 AM   #1
kpmunt

S & W K22 ??

Yesterday my son and I had the opportunity to shoot a couple of pistols my Dad has owned for years. We had an issue with his K22 which is prompting me to do some research and join this site to tap into your wisdom. Thanks in advance.

Here's the problem: after a number of rounds are fired (maybe 50 ish) the cylinder becomes increasingly balky at turning normally. Aiding it with your thumb gets it to turn fine as you pull the hammer back.

This pistol has always had this problem but since it is only used very sparingly nothing has ever been done to correct it.

Thoughts?
Old April 6, 2009, 09:42 AM   #2
FlyFish

Barrel-cylinder gap may be too tight - powder fouling in there can inhibit cylinder rotation. You can check it with a set of automotive feeler gauges. A couple of thousandths is usually considered the minimum for free operation. Or, when you have the binding, simply try cleaning the face of the cylinder and the back of the barrel extension with some solvent. If that frees things up then you've found your problem. If so, it's a simple and inexpensive fix (by a competent gunsmith, that is).
Old April 6, 2009, 10:12 AM   #3
kraigwy

I use to have the same problem with my Smith Model 18.

What happens the grease, gunk, or what have you gets down the crane/ejector rod.

You can find cleaner ammo. I also found a shot of Liquid Wrinch squirted down the ejector rod area kepts it loosened up.

Cleaner ammo is the best bet but you still need a penitrating oil. Rem Oil is also pretty good.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 6, 2009, 02:47 PM   #4
kpmunt

Thanks guys.

I'll look into the tolerance this evening. I'll also look at lubing the ejector rod as well. Seems to operate freely but obviously doesn't take much to gum things up.
Old April 6, 2009, 07:34 PM   #5
Casimer

My Model 17 is generally tight - tight cylinder gap, chambers, lock-up. I've had to be deliberate about the ammo I use. Otherwise I'll have issues with the cylinder rotation and extraction due to build-up.

A bronze brush will remove soot from the cylinder face and the mouth of the forcing cone, without damaging the bluing.

And your extractor rod is tight - right?

If this gets loose it will back-out and cause the cylinder to bind.
Old April 6, 2009, 09:21 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Also check to make sure the extractor rod has not unscrewed itself and is binding. If there is a cutdown ring behind the checkered end, the rod has left hand threads and is less likely to bind, but it can.

Jim
Old April 6, 2009, 10:11 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Clean out from under the extractor and the back of the star itself. It doesn't take many granules of unburnt powder in there to bind up cylinder rotation.