The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 5, 2009, 01:45 PM   #1
SavageMOA

Legality of buying a stripped AR lower

I have recently bid on a stripped AR lower on gunbroker and am currently the high bidder. I just read that it is illegal to purchase a stripped AR lower if you are under 21.

Does anyone know if this is true?
Old March 5, 2009, 01:49 PM   #2
XLT

I believe if it was for some reason identified as a pistol receiver you would have to be 21.... but if it is a rifle receiver, I don't think so....

Local or state law might be different...
Old March 5, 2009, 01:49 PM   #3
fortkevin2

From what I know I'm pretty sure it's legal. Buying rifles and shotguns(NC) it is legal when you are the age of 18+. I would think that a lower would be the same way as long as it was used as a long gun. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Edit-XLT basically said what I was thinking...
Old March 5, 2009, 01:49 PM   #4
azredhawk44

I've heard conflicting things about this... that the lower has to be declared a pistol or rifle either from the manufacturer or on the 4473 itself during the transaction.

Since an AR lower can be built into a pistol, I guess it makes sense. I don't agree with it, but it makes sense. The whole SBR and pistol nonsense is a legacy holdover from the 1934 NFA garbage and really needs some re-examining.

Especially in light of Miller, combined with Heller, and the fact that a huge percentage of our Armed Forces uses a sub-16" carbine.
Old March 5, 2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Bitmap

The latest version of the 4473 "yellow sheet" that you fill out at the FFL now has categories for handgun, long gun, and other. Dealers used to transfer stripped lowers as long guns, unless the buyer specified handgun, so the dealer could transfer it to an 18 year old as a long gun. Now it has to transfer as "other" which I believe is not allowed to anyone under 21. I think the other category also includes pistol gripped rifles and shotguns.

I think you just waited a year too long to buy one.

Here is a link to the draft proposal of the new form:

http://www.nssf.org/share/PDF/4473_Draft.pdf

Here is something else that seems to confirm the new form, although I don't know for sure that <21 would be prohibited from buying a stripped lower.
http://www.madfi.org/post/4473_changes.pdf

Last edited by Bitmap; March 5, 2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old March 5, 2009, 02:02 PM   #6
Alleykat

If you can find a stripped lower locally, then you can buy it legally, if you're buying in a private sale.
Old March 5, 2009, 02:03 PM   #7
SavageMOA

So should I contact the seller of the item, or the local FFL I'm going to use, in order to determine the legality of it?

Since it's on GunBroker, and I'm currently still the high bidder and would rather not **** off the seller by winning and "changing my mind", Is there any way I can talk to him and we can get around it? Such as adding a stock?

Last edited by SavageMOA; March 5, 2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old March 5, 2009, 02:34 PM   #8
mesabi

It was changed in November. Stripped lowers you need to be 21. It no longer depends on the registration. I learned that in January when I tried to buy one.
Old March 5, 2009, 03:58 PM   #9
GLK

Have you mom or dad buy it for you and no that is not a staw buy and is totally legal.
Old March 5, 2009, 04:31 PM   #10
studman5578

I'm 18 and was going to go buy an ar15 lower this weekend but even though I am buying it from a store, will I not be able to buy it? If all lowers are pistols, wouldn't that then make all ar15's into pistols?
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old March 5, 2009, 05:09 PM   #11
SavageMOA

i'm having trouble understanding as well. I just talked to my local FFL and he told me he'll sell it to me as long as it's not marked as a "pistol" lower.

Does anyone else have any more input?
Old March 5, 2009, 05:28 PM   #12
vranasaurus

It used to be that stripped lowers had to be declared rifle or pistol. Now they are just receivers but because they can be turned into a pistol they are restricted to 21 and over.

The question I have is this. A local gun shop has a few RRA "pistol" lowers. These are marked "pistol only". The marking isn't engraved into the receiver it appears to be some kind of adhesive lettering. Would it be a violation of any law to make them into rifles and remove the lettering?
Old March 5, 2009, 07:40 PM   #13
studman5578

...Are you Sure?

I just got off the phone with a gun store here in Illinois and the guy who answered the phone said that they will sell lowers to people between the ages of 18 and 21 who have a FOID card. Just thought I'd share.
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old March 5, 2009, 08:50 PM   #14
SavageMOA

I live in Mississippi, so we don't have to have a FOID card. Is a FFL holder forced to used the old 4473 forms? Or can he use the old forms with the old format?