The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Altered Ego

Specific type of lead needed to cast???

What a great site you have here. Just stumbled upon it while searching for re-loading recommendations. (I'm just getting started with this). I have a question with regards to casting lead bullets. As a plumber, I have lots of lead laying around and was wondering if this type is acceptable to use? I would only consider using "new" lead. I am wondering how this compares to the used wheel weights that a lot of folks seem to use. Thanks for any information you can provide.
Old December 24, 2008, 10:58 PM   #2
CrustyFN

You can use pure lead but you will probably need to add linotype or monotype to the lead to make it hard enough. I have been using used wheel weights and they work great without having to add anything. Welcome.
Rusty
Old December 24, 2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Altered Ego

Thanks for the quick reply, Rusty. I obviously have an abundance of 95/5 solder and presume I can add a pound or two to the lead and will obtain the same results?
Old December 24, 2008, 11:13 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

You can cast for handguns with lead and tin alone. Elmer Keith developed the .44 Magunum using 20:1 and 16:1 lead and tin alloy. He may even have used 30:1. I've forgotten. The alloy RCBS recommended for its molds in years past is 9:1 lead tin. Very shiny, but a bit expensive anymore. The tin can come from any lead-free solder, since that is mostly tin. Just be sure there is no zinc in it. Zinc increases surface tension in lead alloys and makes it difficult for them to fill out a mold. But tin, copper, silver; all good.

If you want the alloy harder you will need to add antimony. If you want to be alble to water quench them still harder, you will need a small percentage of arsenic as well. Both are in Magnum shot for shotguns. You can also get material from this site, which has some information on alloying, too.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 25, 2008, 02:14 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

If you're new to reloading, learn that part first then think about casting. Don't even think about casting unless you have a very well ventilated place to do it.
Wheel weights are sort of a standard for casting. They're cheap if there is any cost. They do have impurities that get skimmed off during melting.
Got any idea how pure your lead pipes are? Don't know for sure(and you'd know far more about lead pipe than most of us. Evil stuff.), but I suspect it wouldn't be pure lead. Very likely the same need for skimming. I'm guessing though.
Go here for casting info. http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/publications/
Old December 25, 2008, 10:13 AM   #6
Hawg

Casting and reloading go hand in hand. I see no reason for learning both together. It ain't rocket science.

Here's a really good site for bullet alloys and has a chart for hardness of common alloys. It also has links to other sites for more information. http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm
Old December 25, 2008, 03:17 PM   #7
crowbeaner

American Tin and Solder in Providence RI has an alloy (#14) that is almost perfect for casting hard bullets; 2.5% tin and 7.5% antimony, 90% lead. Talk to Scott. Also, you can find a wealth of information about casting and lead projectiles at www.castboolits/gunloads.com. CB.
Old December 25, 2008, 06:08 PM   #8
dahermit

Lead from roof flashing, old lead drain pipes, and plumber's lead bought from hardware stores and plumbing supply stores, for the purpose of casting bullets can be considered to be "pure" lead (there will be some small and insignificant amounts of other metals in those alloys). Combined with the "an abundance of solder laying around" If it is lead-tin solder, you have struck it rich. If you get the "Cast Bullet Handbook", from Lyman, you are on your way into the world of: "I do not care how much I shoot, it does not cost me hardly anything!", handgun shooting.
Old December 25, 2008, 08:45 PM   #9
Rick61

Kind of a related question:
What about battery Lead? Seeing as I have about 10 batteries laying behind the garage..
Old December 25, 2008, 09:19 PM   #10
velocette

Rick;
DO NOT MESS WITH BATTERY PLATE LEAD!
No way no-how. Take it to a recycler or a scrap yard.
Talk some tire places out of wheel weights and perhaps some circuit board manufacturers
out of their scrap solder. Melting old battery plates is not good for your health or anyone nearby.

Roger
Old December 25, 2008, 09:20 PM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
DO NOT MESS WITH BATTERY PLATE LEAD!
Ditto on that. It won't melt right anyway.
Old December 26, 2008, 12:34 AM   #12
Rick61

Dagnabbit, plenty of tire stores in town tho ..