The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2007, 03:23 PM   #1
Delynn

Please help with developing a load for 300 win mag

I have been tring to develop a load for my 300 Win Mag Remington Sendero SFII and I am about to pull my hair out. I have tried Berger 185gr, Gamekings 180 gr, and Nolser BT180 gr. and a few more. Most loaded with 80 grains of H1000 They all shoot ok but no better than factory Hornady ammo. And get this. Remington Corelokts shoot the best of all. I have been to the range 4 times and the Corelokts out shoot all the rest hands down. I have shot about 8 - 3 shot groups and the corelokts are all under MOA and sometimes close to 1/2 MOA. My two best groups were from the Berger and most worst groups were from them also. Is it luck. A friend of mine bought the same rifle a few weeks ago and he is the one that got me to try the corelokts because his rifle loves them too. Here is my problem. I don't want to shoot the corelokts because the BC is very low on the corelokt and I like to target shoot 500 to 1000 yards. And hunt game out to 800. Why can't I find a load that shoots as good or better than the cheapest ammo on the planet? Please Please help. Any advice? I am about to give up.
Old February 28, 2007, 03:47 PM   #2
campFULLofBULL

It might not be your recipes... but another area, meaning your hardware.

The 300 Win mag is a very nice round for relaoding. I have tried altering seating of bullet depth, powder levels and powder types. Consistenly getting an accurate round. Others (Not me) have used this round in 1000 yard competition!
I would try changing hardware (Buy some good factory ammo, head space, sights, barrel).

Good luck, just shot a nice 5X6 Elk - with one (300 Win) last year.
Old February 28, 2007, 05:55 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Load developement

Is the same for every rifle, and each rifle is different. But the process of load developement is the same.

First, decide what it is that you want from your ammo. There is no free lunch. Do you want the highest velocities?, even if the load is not as accurate as a slower one? Do you want the best groups, no matter what the speed? Do you want bullet A no matter if B or C shoots better?

You have to decide what is important to you.

Then, once you have made up your mind, you can go to work. Each rifle is an individual, and most will show a preference for a particular bullet.powder combination. Meaning they will shoot one load better than all the others. Maybe a little, maybe a lot, depends on the rifle.

Your rifle likes Rem CoreLokt? fine. Shoot it! Use it as a base line. Gather a selection of bullets, and powders, and load up. Keep track of which ones shoot better than others in your rifle.

Only you can decide if you are satisfied. Personally, I prefer to be able to hit my targets, rather than near miss with the fastest load, or the one with the highest BC.
Old February 28, 2007, 09:00 PM   #4
tcarr

I also have an SFII. It would shoot about an MOA until I bedded the action. That got it down to 1/2 MOA right away. I am about to start working up loads for match bullets, but with 74 gr. of IMR4350 I am getting 1/2 MOA with Speers 150 gr SPBT.

About to try H1000 and 168 Berger VLD. Am going to the range tomorrow to try out 5 different loadings. I am hoping to shoot 500 and 1000 yards, and am working up loads for this. Will try 180 gr bullets next.

Just try different bullet, powder, primer combinations and go with what works.
Old March 1, 2007, 03:13 AM   #5
missoulaz28

try RL-22, I got sub moa very easily with it and Nosler Accubond 180's
I've also heard Hodgden 4831 works great in the 300 mag
Old March 1, 2007, 07:40 AM   #6
VaFisher

You may want to try the Hornady SST or V-max with 4064 powder. I have used both with this powder and they worked up great, very accurate.
Old March 1, 2007, 09:51 AM   #7
Delynn

Thanks for all the help. I have printed all the suggestions up and will be tring them soon. Shot again yesterday afternoon and had a 5 shot 3/4moa with the corelokts and 3 shot 1 1/2moa with my reloads. Gamekings. The encouragement sure helps too when other are tring to help you. Thanks a ton for that. Tcarr if you would, let me know how your loads work out. I talked to a friend last night about bedding my rifle and we both thought it would be a good idea. He is doing a trigger job for me today at 2 pounds. Just have to find someone who can bed it now. I have seen tapes on it but watching and doing is to different things. Please keep any advice coming. Thanks a ton.