The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2007, 07:52 PM   #26
Toolman

The bulge is coming in because the bullet seating/crimp die isn't adjusted properly. I had the same problem on probably 150 rounds before I found out what was going on. This method worked for me using Lee carbide dies. YMMV.

Take a sized, unprimed case & adjust the seating/crimp die so the crimp just barely crimps the edge of the case & then back it off 1/4 turn & tighten the lock nut on the die.
Next, adjust the bullet seating part of the die so you have the bullet seated at the max COL & that the case is not crimped.
Now, adjust the crimp part down the 1/4 turn that you previously backed off of the die so you get the crimp back & load a cartridge.
Check the COL, crimp & look for the bulge.
The COL should be shorter & the crimp should be there but you shouldn't have a case bulge.
The amount of crimp will affect COL.

Once you are happy with the crimp, you can adjust the seating depth separately.
If you didn't have the bullet square with the case, you will still have a bulge, but it will be on one side of the case.

Personally, I don't think .45 ACP cartriges need to be crimped, but I do it anyway since it's semi-auto.