The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2007, 09:43 AM   #1
dbuffington

Practice Loads... How Low Can You Go?

Hi Folks!

We've been having a lot of fun here lately shooting the Aguila "Colibri" .22 LR ammo, the stuff with no powder, only primer. In a rifle, it's very quiet (quieter than a cap gun), and at very short range, it's very accurate. (Or at least, very consistent. At 50 feet it drops _4 inches_ more than the subsonic ammo I use for bullseye.)

At any rate, the stuff makes backyard shooting practical for me. So...

Understanding the potential problems for getting a bullet stuck in a barrel, has anyone here experimented with ultra-low power practice loads for centerfire cartridges?

Thanks!
Dave
Old March 4, 2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Ohio Rusty

I've shot hundreds of rounds out of a new model blackhawk using an empty 22 shell full of unique for a charge and a .360 roundball stuffed in the front of a .38 case as the projectile. Quite accurate they were, and they didn't make more noise than a loud 'pop'.
Ohio Rusty
Old March 4, 2007, 11:52 AM   #3
TEDDY

Lite Loads

you can go as low as as you want.however the gun (auto may not function)
38 spec =2.8 grs bulleye- target load-45acp=3.2-3.5 target load.you need to load high enough to stabilize the bullets.the charges I mention are to give you a place to start.