The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 10, 2001, 02:15 PM   #1
Nanaimo Barr

lube help!!!!!

I'm trying to find out what is the best lube to use on my powder messure, (Hornaday Multi-Delux, bought used), I've asked around and the best "answer" I got was "something graphite", now, I have a sneaking feeling that just anything with liquid in it is going to screw up the powder, I'm still learning all this, can someone please give me a brand name and product of lube? I pulled the cylinder out of it the other day and cleaned the heck out of it (it was feeling stiff on some pulls) and now it feels stiff and rought all the time even without powder in it)

NB
Old June 10, 2001, 03:31 PM   #2
Paul B.

NB. You really shouldn't lube your powder measure at all. Liquid ludes are definitely a no no. Graphite powder will work, but is messy. (Black stuff all over everything.) Lyman has a case lude setup with a white powder that I belive is molybdenem something or other. I can't remember the name. That might be a little better.
Better yet, take the thing apart and clean the drum with denatured alcohol or acetone. Don't get acetone on any plastic parts. I have one Pacific measure that's over 40 years old and I've never lubed it yet. Just a good cleaning every three months or so.
Old June 10, 2001, 04:49 PM   #3
Nanaimo Barr

ok, so the stiff "throw" isin't anything to worry about then?. it does seem to be pretty consistant with the charge most of the time

NB
Old June 10, 2001, 05:44 PM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I realize that your measure is different from my RCBS Unilflow that I bought in 64 in 65, but I NEVER did lube this measure. I guess if I HAD to it would be with powdered graphite, because to the best of my knowledge ANY type of petroleum based oil will mess up any powder or primers it comes in contact with.
Old June 10, 2001, 06:23 PM   #5
Nanaimo Barr

I bow to the greater wisdom and experience of my Brethern..

I'll just leave it as it. (and I think backing off the adjustment screw just a tad helped)

NB
Old June 10, 2001, 08:42 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Powder measures are pretty much self-lubricating, given that powder is coated in graphite to make it flow easily. That's why powder is silver to dark gray in color.

Minute amounts of that will migrate off the powder over time, lubricating your measure for you.

If, however, that doesn't provide enough lubrication, try either a tube of powdered graphite, available at any hardware store, or something called Dri-Slide, which is a molydisulphide in a volatile evaporating carrier.

Coat the parts lightly, and let the carrier evaporate.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 11, 2001, 01:51 PM   #7
Paul B.

Mike Irwin. The reason for dismantleing and cleaning the drum is because powders like Bullseye, 4227, and some of the finer ball powders will also migrate to where they should not be. After a while, they clog things up enough that you get stiff or rough handle action. I've even seen Unique migrate, and that really stiffen things up.
As I said in my earlier post, just clean pewriodically and all should be well.
Paul B.
Old June 11, 2001, 03:48 PM   #8
bfoster

The drum in a correctly manufactured powder measure is fitted closely enough to the hole in the main casting so that this problem will not happen until many years have passed. I have an old RCBS uniflow, and a similar Redding measure as well as Dillon & two Harrel measures. This isn't a problem with any of them.

Were I you, I would take this up with the maker of the measure: if it is relatively new, there is a fit up problem, if it is old some of the manufacturers will hone the hole in the casting, then fit a slightly oversize drum at minimal, if any, cost to the consumer.

Bob
Old June 11, 2001, 04:36 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Paul,

I'm familiar with powder migration.

I wasn't however, talking about powder migrating. That's a problem. Graphite coating from the powder isn't a problem.

My RCBS Uniflo needs to be lubricated before it works as smoothly as it should.

I've used both Dri-Slide and graphite on it in the past.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.