The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 19, 2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Metal god

Minutes after placing order with PSA my card was used 4 times fraudulently

Not sure if PSA was hacked or what's going on but it's one heck of a coincidence . The charges were done on 10/17/13 . I noticed the charges the next day/night and today talked with my bank .

I'm not saying PSA did anything wrong because I don't have enough info yet . I'm just starting this whole challenge the charges thing . There were 4 charges to my card totaling close to $300 just minutes after placing the order with PSA . All from different online stores .

This is the first time anything like this has happened to me .My card was never out of my possession or left any where somebody could get to it . sure hope I get my $300 back . Two charges have went through and there are two more pending and the funds are being held .

Just wanted to give a heads up just in case PSA was hacked . I emailed them and called . they're closed for the weekend so I'm not sure if they read the email or not .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 19, 2013, 07:42 PM   #2
dakota.potts

It's likely that it's a problem with your computer, not PSA. Sounds to me like it might be a Trojan or keystroke logger that "watched" you put in your credit card credentials.

But I'm not an expert on computer security so take my word with a teaspoon of salt.
Old October 19, 2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Fireman179

I'm a computer tech for a school system and my opinion is the same as the one above. I say you have a virus or a monitoring program that snatched your info
Old October 19, 2013, 08:09 PM   #4
SHE3PDOG

It is unlikely that anything is wrong with their site. It is also possible that the timing was purely coincidental and someone may have used an RFID scanner to get the info off of your card. This method of stealing your credit card info is becoming more and more common, but a simple copper lined card sleeve will do to protect your card.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old October 19, 2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Is the PSA site a secure site, or not secure? If it's a secure site, when you get to the screens for entering your personal and account info, the address line should change from http://www.xyz.com to https://www.xyz.com and there should be a padlock symbol somewhere on the screen.
Old October 19, 2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Metal god

Thanks guys I'll have my computer checked out . I have a good friend that does computer/Internet security and I'll have him check it out .

I posted this same thread on another forum and one guy said it happened to him right after ordering from PSA two weeks ago . Interesting stuff going on here .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 19, 2013, 09:47 PM   #7
curt.45

PSA?
Old October 19, 2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Metal god

Palmetto State Armory . I'm at my parents house changing all my passwords to all things online . If my computers are hacked I figure using a different computer to change passwords is the thing to do .

Old October 19, 2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Ruger480

you need to call your bank ASAP. I had the same thing happen to me a while back but thankfully my bank called to ask if had made those purchases. Coincidentally it was for 300 dollars. Because it was the weekend and the purchases were in que(?) or what ever the bank denied the charges and I was able to keep my money.
Old October 19, 2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Ruger480

Sorry, I see you already talked with your bank.
Old October 19, 2013, 10:03 PM   #11
allaroundhunter

Minutes after placing order with PSA my card was used 4 times fraudulently

I'm 99% sure that I have heard of at least one other person have this problem after buying from PSA's site as well.
Old October 19, 2013, 10:09 PM   #12
curt.45

Ah thankyou, google returned all sorts of things.
Old October 19, 2013, 10:40 PM   #13
Evan Thomas

Metal God, I hope you get your money back quickly and are able to get your computer "de-loused," if that's the problem. The same thing happened to me a while back, but I was lucky -- my bank saw some odd charges, froze the card, and called me.

That said, computer security and internet fraud aren't part of TFL's mission... but if the problem turns out to be with the company, do post about your experience in the Retail Deals and Feedback forum.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; October 19, 2013 at 10:48 PM.
Closed Thread