The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old October 9, 2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Exit_Wound

.50 BMG for deer?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

How about hunting ANYTHING with the 50 cal?
Old October 9, 2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Guv

Or cottontail hunting with a .338 WinMag?
Old October 9, 2013, 09:34 PM   #3
iraiam

An old timer hunting friend of mine takes his bolt action 50 BMG hunting with us, he sits on a big hill where he can see a long way, I tell him "you realize the chances of an elk just waltzing out in all that open don't you?"

He's never seen one to shoot at yet like this.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 9, 2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Boomer58cal

Deer hunting with a 50 BMG tracer at 1 mile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN35x...e_gdata_player

Pig hunting with 50 BMG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX8_4...e_gdata_player

Boomer
Old October 9, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5
bamaranger

seen it

I've seen that video and a couple like it. One has the deer staged in front of a wall of what must be plywood sheets painted white, I guess to allow them to be more visible.

I'd put all that into the stunt category. Legal (deer likely baited into that position, but that is legal some places), but using tracer ammo, really spray and pray, one shot at a time. There is better .50 ammo for sure.

What was interesting is the falling trajectory of the .50 BMG at that range.
Old October 9, 2013, 11:08 PM   #6
SC4006

Using a .50 BMG to shoot a deer I'd say would be about as impractical as using a .300 win mag for chipmunk hunting.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old October 10, 2013, 05:16 AM   #7
Guv

Stunts like this will hurt hunting in this country, how about some respect for the animal, the sport and the tradition.
Old October 10, 2013, 07:58 AM   #8
imp

I'm not convinced that the .50 bmg is enough deer, those critters are tough. Why not find a way to shoulder fire a 155mm howitzer.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:11 AM   #9
Beretta686

As Boomer58Cal posted there's folks who have done it and put it on YouTube.

I've had some buddies take a .50BMG single shot out pig hunting. I've seen wildlife meander on to Army ranges and quickly become bullet magnets for .50BMG. And back in the way early 90's when I was in boy scouts, we used to go camping at a guy's ranch who had an M2 mounted in the back of a Toyota pickup, Iraqi-style and he'd drive around shooting pigs from it like it was Blackhawk Down or something.

But I can't imagine using such a round if you're actually planning on eating any of what you shoot.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 10, 2013, 10:34 AM   #10
skoro

.50 BMG for deer?

Probably better suited for a T Rex.
Old October 10, 2013, 11:21 AM   #11
kawasakifreak77

I've heard an RPG works great on field mice....
Old October 10, 2013, 11:34 AM   #12
Bullcamp82834

Just once. Back about 1991. Setting up for some training at the range. A doe walks out at 325 yards before anyone had fired a shot.
Yes, a .50 BMG will kill a deer. No further info available.
Old October 10, 2013, 11:46 AM   #13
BoogieMan

Quote:
Stunts like this will hurt hunting in this country, how about some respect for the animal, the sport and the tradition.
Im with the Guv.
I would think the same way of people shooting deer with a 22 cal. Just because it can be done doesnt mean it should. That video put ammo in the pocket of every group/politician that wants to ban 50bmg
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old October 10, 2013, 01:00 PM   #14
chewie146

I can see your argument, but I'm a decent devil's advocate. At one point in time, not long ago, hunting with an AR-15 was considered a stunt. Before that, hunting with a handgun was considered a stunt. When Douglas Wesson killed all those animals with a .357, it was viewed as a publicity stunt. Now, I'm not advocating whole-hearted slaughter of animals using a .50, nor am I advocating irresponsible shooting on any hunter's part, but how dead is really too dead?

There are as many cases of irresponsible hunters and shooters with far smaller calibers. It is the problem of irresponsible peoplethat causes problems, and not the caliber of the gun.

Realistically, the .50 would probably damage less meat and lead to fewer wounded animals than other "deer" calibers, such as the .22-250 and .243 with a center-lung shot, due to bullet construction. Hunt with whatever legal caliber you want, but do it humanely and safely. Others are so quick to damn hunters that we do not need to do it to ourselves.
Old October 10, 2013, 01:18 PM   #15
DAVID NANCARROW

Hunting with a 50BMG round?

Obviously, no soft point would really be needed, although a lot of locales require soft tipped ammo.

Hey, if that is what floats your boat, I guess so. Cant imagine much left of the animal, but its your animal.

My biggest concern is where is that bullet going to go after it exits the far side of the animal?
Old October 10, 2013, 01:27 PM   #16
steveNChunter

If you're not hunting deer with the intent of either eating the meat or giving it to someone who needs it, then you have no business hunting at all. And using a .50 bmg will not allow you to save much meat if any. I'm not saying you shouldn't trophy hunt, I hunt primarily to fill the freezer, but I love getting a big buck as much as anybody.

Crap like this is what gives hunters a bad name and image in the public eye.

By the way, if the liberal politicians got ahold of the video Boomer posted about deer hunting, they would say it was proof that hunters are irresponsible and dangerous. They are looking for evey reason they can to take more and more of the second amendment. Let's not help them by doing stupid stunts like that.

Last edited by steveNChunter; October 10, 2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old October 10, 2013, 01:49 PM   #17
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Unless you use a "hunting tip" ammo (not sure but I know they are made) it is not a good choice. It punches completely through and could end up with a lot of tracking. Most 50 BMG rounds have steel inserts and will expand very little. I have been shooting a 50 BMG for a few years. I would rather use a smaller caliber. If you do get a hunting round, far less of the meat will be useable.

I did see a guy on you tube hit one in the shoulder and it destroyed the front quarters. Just my opinion.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old October 10, 2013, 01:50 PM   #18
TXAZ

It works and a nick is more likely a kill with a .50. Also $$$$$$ And likely to scare more game in the area.

But for long range Lapua is also a good choice.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 10, 2013, 03:40 PM   #19
Sierra280

I do love a tender piece of backstrap, but venison spaghetti O's doesn't sound that appealing.
Old October 10, 2013, 05:35 PM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I disremember which state, but one of those out west outlawed using the M2. Montana? Anyhow, it was regarded as not at all sportsmanlike.

Me, I don't see the point. Our own family's experience is that the old '06 does just fine out to 400 and 500 yards, so why bother?
Old October 10, 2013, 05:45 PM   #21
Exit_Wound

.50 BMG for deer?

Looks like I got some hostility and sarcastic comments based on nothing, or info that's anecdotal at best.

Yeah, one would assume that a .50 cal would shred anything it hits, but is that reality?

What I asked for was any experience, not admonishments about practicality, judgements, or wive's tails.

Thanks to those who responded with some good input and civil discourse.
Old October 10, 2013, 06:57 PM   #22
Guv

The continued bullet path as brought up by David N. should also be a big concern. I've always said you should buy what you want and not worry about other peoples opinions but we all have to not forget there is a significant number of our population out there just chomping at the bit to end all our shooting and hunting activities. We should feel a responsibility to each other to protect this sport we all enjoy, antagonizing these liberal jacka$$'s will not help our cause, no sense kicking a fire ant nest.
Old October 10, 2013, 07:24 PM   #23
BigD_in_FL

Perception is reality and to the anti-gun crowd the 50 is a military or terrorist weapon, so using one for deer just adds fuel to their fire- why? We have enough yahoos trying to shoot deer at 500-800, why add this to the mix?

Just because you can doesn't mean you should
Old October 10, 2013, 08:18 PM   #24
RickE

Sorry, if anyone has a question about a min/max rifle for deer, they are not nearly ready to hunt. I sure don't want them anywhere around me. They would be ignorant to many safety factors is well as the proper deer rifle. Please keep the tongue in cheek ( I hope it is) questions off this site.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:41 PM   #25
Sierra280

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, just realistic. If you shoot a deer with a 50BMG round any meat that isn't turned into splatter paint, is going to be be so ruined by hydrostatic shock it would be basically unedible.

And what others have said about the continued path of the projectile is a big concern, the old saying 'fear the pink mist' was never meant to apply to other hunters.
Closed Thread