The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 31, 2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Remington 870 Express Tactical Video Review

I was looking for a shotgun that I could use for HD/SD that would also have the ability to get consistent hits on a man size target at 50-75 meters; all while not breaking the bank. The Remington 870 Express Tactical has filled that role and done it well.

I didn't bring any slugs for this video but have shot them out of this gun in since and it easily does what I've asked of it (hits on a man size target at 50-75m). Every shotgun barrel shoots different loads differently and this gun is no exception. I've tried two brands of slugs and both shoot high (about 8'' at 50m) while the buckshot loads pattern at point of aim. I don't think it's an issue as long as the shooter is aware and holds low appropriately.

Initially I planned on only posting the shooting portion of this video but I received a lot of negative comments about the Express line of 870 line on the forums when I said I was going to review this gun so I added some content about the differences. I've heard on the forums that Remington's QC has been a little spotty of late but I haven't experienced that myself all....

Anyway, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vUIf7JuiQs

Write up with differences between the Police and Express lineup:

http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/201...t-i-could.html
Old May 31, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Sigowner

Admittedly I have fired a minimal number of rounds through my 870 Express but after firing and breaking it down I have absolutely no complaints. What types of concerns did you receive? By the way, I replaced the std. stock with a Mesa LEO recoil reducing stock and that Enidine piston makes a world of difference in recoil for this old man!
Old May 31, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Mostly people saying Express line guns are crap, don't work, don't last, rust immediately at the hint of humidity, ect...

I just haven't found it to be true at all.

I'll likely add a front XS night sight and Magpul for end to this gun. Perhaps a stock down the road but I don't mind this one. I have th blackhawkk on other shotguns and it does take the sting out of high round sessions.

Last edited by Mrgunsngear; May 31, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old June 1, 2012, 12:20 PM   #4
myshoulderissore

Mine rusted fairly easily, within hours of humid air reaching it I could see blooms forming... I switched to ATF for lubrication and the problem went away. Still, none of my other guns will rust like that.
Old June 2, 2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Mrgunsngear

Hmm... I live in a very humid climate and have never had rust on any of my guns (unless shooting corrosive ammo....). But, I've always used a light coat of CLP on all surfaces.
Old June 2, 2012, 09:29 AM   #6
LSnSC

The express guns rust pretty easily. Ive got one I've duck hunted with a good bit and it will have a light surface rust on it before the boat is back on the trailer. It doesnt effect its operation, it just looks bad. Theyre good shotguns for the money, but they are certainly not a Wingmaster.
Old June 2, 2012, 02:11 PM   #7
myshoulderissore

I hope my post wasn't taken as a bad view of the 870 Express! It is an amazing gun, I love shooting it, and it is SOOOOO VERSATILE! Almost any propensity to rust can be resolved through cleaning/changing lube/refinishing, and any one of those can be done on the cheap.

I should also mention, when I camp/hunt I sleep in my Blazer, with the guns in the back, so my sweat and breath raise the humidity big time, and temperature fluctuates from freezing to warm if I start the truck for a bit of warmth or when the sun comes up. So really, what I do is abuse, and I found a way to fix my neglect, ATF.
Old June 2, 2012, 03:23 PM   #8
LSnSC

They are great guns for what you pay, just a little rough around the edges, but thats why they are inexpensive.
Old June 2, 2012, 05:43 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

I ended up getting a basic 870 Express with the 18.5" barrel but was looking at the Reminton Tactical if I wanted ghost ring sites. There is a pro that many overlook, which is that tactical breecher choke. That I could live without, but unthread it and pop in any one of several chokes. The regular short barrel model has a fixed cylinder barrel.

What is the constriction of the breaching choke, anyway? I always assumed it was open cylinder.
Old June 5, 2012, 02:10 PM   #10
vba

I have the same Express Tactical and simply sprayed a couple of coats of Krylon BBQ spray paint on the metal surfaces. Came out looking real nice.

Didn't completely care what it would look like as it is a working gun, yet it looks better than the original finish.