The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

View Poll Results: What is the best Production Handgun for IPSC?
Glock - 17, 19, series 53 31.36%
Springfield XD9, 4 inch, 5 inch 29 17.16%
Beretta 92 series 7 4.14%
Browning HP 4 2.37%
Walther P99 2 1.18%
CZ 75 30 17.75%
FN DA 9mm 1 0.59%
Other gun 43 25.44%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 16, 2005, 09:17 AM   #1
Duxman

Best Production GUN for IPSC

Need some sage advice. I am a relatively new shooter to competition shooting: This is my second tournament (IPSC), and 1 3 gun under my belt. I am at a point where I would like to reach the upper 50% tier of shooters and improve my general shooting ability.

First things first: Equipment improvement guide part 1:

Guns: Which weapon would you consider to be the best production weapon for IPSC - or are all of them equal? (Since all production is scored the same - minor caliber 9mm seems to be best - accuracy and controllability wise, and 10 round mags are the cutoff)

Please choose a weapon and tell me why:
Old August 16, 2005, 05:19 PM   #2
HSMITH

I think I would get a Glock. Magazines are cheap and of very good quality, the gun runs great right out of the box, they are accurate enough, and aftermarket sights and things like that are readily available and reasonably priced. I would set it up with Dawson fiber optic sight in the front and a quality steel adjustable rear, extended mag release, some grip tape, straight drop Kydex holster, and GO!!

I really like the CZ-75 too. A Para P18 LDA would also be a nice gun.

What are you shooting now?
Old August 16, 2005, 08:43 PM   #3
ampleworks

Browning Hi-Power is single action, its limited or higher, not production.

Note, you mention "IPSC" and "Production", I assume you're actually talking about USPSA since IPSC doesn't have Production.
Old August 17, 2005, 12:26 AM   #4
eerw

Actually IPSC does have a production division..the rules are little different and the difference between it and USPSA production would make a difference in some particular gun choices..

For USPSA production..since mag capacity is limited to 10...that eliminates one of the prime factors..capacity..

since it all is scored minor..that eliminates another factor..power..

one of the choice to make is caliber..some folks like shooting a downloaded .40..they say shooting the heavier 155-180 gr bullet at a 125-130 power factor is way soft..the price of brass is cheap too..but you gotta reload..
9mm..lots of cheap ammo sources..both over the counter..and brass is cheap if you reload..

ok assuming we pick 9mm:
now the guns...each has strong points and weak points..this will depend on you...

The Glock is popular and reliable..the G34 offers a long sight radius which is a good thing. it is easy to get a great trigger, either do it yourself or have someone do it..I had Charlie Vanek do a trigger on my G34 to 1.5#. Add a set of Dawson adjustable rear and F/O front..and it is a great package. downside..it has the narrowest mag to magwell opening..really have to look your reloads in. also fo some it has a funky grip angle, so pointability can be an issue.

SIG226ST..great sights, points well, easy to get a really trick trigger. Its a really heavy gun. I have friend that shoots for Team SIG and he is doing really well..having switched from his Para P18LDA.

Para P18LDA..its a 1911..so point well..good sights, trigger is pretty nice, but the reset is super long..you realy got to get your finger off. Also fat mags to narrow magwell.

CZ75/85..this can be set up to be pretty trick..the action needs some work out of the box, but can be made really nice..good sights are available, it points well. I have an CZ75 and a SP01 that have had really nice action jobs and had good sights put on them..so far really reliable and accurate with both handloads and factory ammo. the gun points really well, mags slip in on the reloads and the trigger reach is short enough that my little fingers fit just right.

Beretta 92..gun points well..pretty much the same as the others..can be set up to shoot well..really like the Elite2 version..the DA pull for me is really long and hard to get my short fingers on it.

Smith 5906 and the 5906PC..this is a cool looking gun..I have heard lots about it..but have yet to see or shoot one..Heard the action on these can be made really sweet.

Tanfoglio Sport Production..new kid on the block..only seen the photos..looks like good sights, big magwell, etc.

Springfield XD tactical..can be set up with really awesome triggers and sights. consistent trigger pull like the glock. easy to reload.

that would be my list of guns to look at for shooting USPSA production.
each is pretty well proven to be reliable, accurate and proven capable of winning.
Old August 17, 2005, 08:15 AM   #5
ampleworks

I find it a bit funny to see the G34/G35 not on the IPSC Production list but the XD is just listed simply as "XD".

I found the XD easier to reload than Glocks, hence why I bought it. The 4" or 5" model is basically the same, a little more sight radius but I don't think it helps much. Both models have the same accuracy, the extra inch doesn't help anything, at least in the XD.
Old August 17, 2005, 08:40 AM   #6
eerw

IPSC has some different rules..
they allow full cap mags..
they really restrict trigger pull weight and the mods to OEM parts..like sights, barrel replacement and mag springs..

Think the G34/35 is not allowed for its length.

hey nice videos on the Area 5 website..pretty cool to watch

The things I looked at when picking my gun was how I reached the trigger, ease of the reload and if I could see the sights..for the time being..I am trying the CZ SP01..really like it..trigger is nice. gun points really well. weight is well balanced. etc..
Old August 17, 2005, 09:44 PM   #7
kend

I've been shooting a PC5906 in Production for the last couple of months and I can't think of any gun that would do a better job at it, it certainly will outshoot me. I thought the 4" barrel would be a disadvantage compared to the 34 I was shooting but it seems to handle better and the steel frame helps absorb the recoil. Accuracy is right up there, 30 yard shots in the A zone at the GA match this past weekend were no problem....for the gun You may have some difficulty finding one as they are supposed to be LE only, they also run $1000+ but I did see one on one of the gun boards for $850 recently. Two other local shooters bought them after trying mine and they're hooked.
Old August 17, 2005, 10:18 PM   #8
eerw

Kend..
you have any photos of your gun..sounds pretty cool..what was the factors that led you to switch away from your G34..
Old August 18, 2005, 02:32 PM   #9
Duxman

Shooting a Beretta 92 right now, and got my butt kicked last week. Ended up second to the last place. Thinking about the XD heavily. But open to other thoughts as well.
Old August 18, 2005, 08:22 PM   #10
kend

I don't have any pics, I'll look into getting one tomorrow. I had a friend that was a sales rep for S&W and after winning a couple of big matches he talked me into trying a Smith which was a 952, I was hooked after that. After shooting the 952 for a while I went to a 945 for CDP & Limited 10, it's the best 45 ever built. My last match with the 945 was the '05 SC IDPA match and then I started with the 5906. I kept the 34 to use in 3 gun along with my Olympic 9mm AR because they use the same mags but I've enjoyed the 5906 so much I'm going to sell the 34 next week and just stick with the 5906.
Old August 19, 2005, 09:34 PM   #11
kend

Anybody tell me how to post a picture?
Old August 20, 2005, 02:10 AM   #12
eerw

two ways

host it on another site and then use the image tags..
or when you post here, click on the manage attachments and upload it.
Old August 21, 2005, 07:02 PM   #13
kymasabe

Why isn't my Taurus 24/7 Long Slide listed in there? Just kidding. I'd pick a CZ or a Glock anyday. Both make great guns that work beautifully in IPSC
Old August 22, 2005, 12:46 AM   #14
eerw

the Taurus 24/7 longslide looks pretty cool..how is the trigger?? how does it handle??
Old August 28, 2005, 08:31 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

why pick Glock?

It's the trigger, man (still killin' meself).

Only Division I don't compete in.......did I mention I just won a M17?
Old August 28, 2005, 05:29 PM   #16
HSMITH

Tim, if you want to hock that G17 cheap let me know. Production and Open guns are all I am lacking.......
Old August 31, 2005, 05:21 AM   #17
WESHOOT2

get in line.....

First I'm gonna try the new-to-me latest gen M17 to see if I 'like' it (you know, plastic-feeling, weird-pointing, 2x4-gripping).
Then (when, er, if I don't 'like' it) I'll let my wife try it (trying to move her away from Revolver-only).
If she wants it it's hers.

Next down is my oldest girl; same thing.

Then I gotta friend who wants to trade me even for a barely-fired Kimber 1911 22LR.
And then I got five guys at work who wanna buy it.

I'm freaked; it's just a Glock......

Last edited by WESHOOT2; August 31, 2005 at 05:22 AM. Reason: but I'll keep you in mind
Old September 3, 2005, 09:25 AM   #18
Trini

Production Gun

Glock 34. Have been shooting Production of and off for a year and was using a 5926. Picked up a 34 a few months back. The trigger is great, just put on a fiber front sight.

T
Old August 26, 2008, 04:45 AM   #19
Torontogunguy

I have them all. Glock 34, 35, XD, Para P1640, et.

My observations? The Glocks give me a great deal of trouble with the magazine release; the Para not so bad. I am wondering if the XD has an ambidextrous or switchable mag release? I gotta pull it out and take a closer look as I have not shot it much if at all.

My issue is that I have to change my grip when I go for the magazine release with my thumb. No problem with I go for it with my finger and that occupies my trigger finger as well so that I don't get nicked for trigger finger too close to the trigger guard. In production I believe that we can add anything we want to the gun as long as it is factory optional.... so an extended or ambi mag release is fine?

The Glocks shoot well. The Para shoots a lot better. No experience with the XD's yet. Just did our IPSC Black Badge course here in Ontario... started with a Glock 35 and switched to the Para on the way to the range TODAY. Real culture shock going from a gun with NO safety to a gun with a true thumb safety. Takes some getting used to especially when doing a magazine change hot. Forget that safety and you get nicked.

Glocks are good enough for close in work but for the longer stuff the Para beats the Glock hands down and I am sure it is because of the sights and the weight. I was all over the place with the Glocks. The Para's were mostly in the A's except for the odd 'flyer'. If I can get the mag release issue sorted out to my satisfaction I will go with the Para until ready to move up in a few months.

Now practicing the rack, tap and fire recovery as I have a habit of having the magazines only half lock into place, especially with the Glocks. I have taken to loading only 9 rounds as the tenth round in a ten round mag seems to keep the magazine from locking right.

Regards to all.
Old August 26, 2008, 09:36 AM   #20
kraigwy

Quote:
Anybody tell me how to post a picture?
This works for me in all forum sites

"[img]www.whatever.com[/img]"

Leave out the quotation marks and put the link to your picture where I typed the www.whatever thingie

Now a question about pistols, I looked at their guns listed in Production Guns. I didnt see the Colt Seires 1911s, seems like a USGI 1911a1 or Colt seres 70 would be a production gun if they were unmodified.

Did I miss something?
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 26, 2008, 10:11 AM   #21
OnTheFly

kend,

If you need a further explanation of posting pics, look at Sticky: Posting Pictures.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old August 26, 2008, 11:10 AM   #22
sargenv

I'm partial to a S&W 627 myself..

But then I was always a little different... With the new USPSA production rules, you no longer need mount your moon clips behind and around the side.. You can now wear them the same way as you would in Revolver division. All you need is a "carry" type holster for it. Bladetech or something similar works. Though you do have to keep the hammer spur you can still do internal modifications.. I don't think I'll have any trouble keeping the trigger pull to about 6 pounds..
Old August 26, 2008, 02:37 PM   #23
redhart

ipsc gun

Cant help you, I shoot a stock Springfield Loaded, in the single stack div.. Mainly because it is close to my carry gun a V 10 ultra compact .
Old August 26, 2008, 05:24 PM   #24
lmccrock

kraigwy,

USPSA Production is not a single action division. So, no 1911 is included. Some Para-Ordnance models are included, but those are double action models. A 1911 can shoot competitively in Limited 10 and Single Stack. It also fits into Limited or Open, just not competitively in the high cap divisions.

USPSA Production Gun List

By the way, I voted "Glock 17". Mine could use some trigger work, but it is currently factory stock.

Lee
Old August 26, 2008, 05:44 PM   #25
Torontogunguy

I love the Glocks; I have a 35 and my son uses a 34 9mm. and loves it. We also have two Para P1640 Limited SS pistols with ambi safeties and adj target sights. Wow. I shot all A's last night with the Para but lost all my points due to extreme difficulty with mag changes. My problem is technique and my technique is based on using my left thumb strong hand to release the mag while I am pulling the fresh mag with my weak hand and whacking it into place. On the Glocks this is a BIG BIG problem for me. On the Para's not so big a problem but still a problem. I just don't have the strength in that thumb due to arthritis. It is weak. My son has NO trouble at all. I need to either make the MAG release ambidextrous, switch it to my trigger finger side of the gun or reduce the pressure needed. Someone suggested bending the Glock mag retention spring to reduce the pressure needed while adding an extension (if I don't already have one on the G35). Ditto the Para P1640. It has to be OEM parts though to remain in my category. I have a Springfield XD and I have NO trouble releasing the magazines from it. I think my Sig is the same. I am tempted. Terribly tempted to head over to the local gun shop and try the latest XD-M's and also the latest Sig X5 (?) That sig is a competition gun and is big bucks but heck... it's only money and I will sell off the others to cover much of the cost. I just need to find the right guns to play IPSC with. Frustrated.