The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 8, 2016, 06:55 PM   #1
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Beretta Nano 9mm Luger as Home defense gun

Dear all,

I was interested in the Beretta Pico 380 acp as an concealment gun and now it came to my mind why not have as well an Beretta Nano 9mm Luger.

Would you sell the S&W SD9VE and get the Beretta Nano 9mm Luger?

What attracts me to These Berettas (Pico and Nano) is it's Firing Control Unit System (Exchange the Frame as you wish).
My worries are just the Nanos dependability (FTF, FTE, General stove pipes, etc) as I know already the SD9VE never has any issues whatsoever (but what bothers me is if it's Frame cracks I basically have to throw away the gun since the gun is serialised on the Frame).

How about the recoil of the Beretta Nano 9mm Luger?
Has it an fully supported chamber?
(since I will use reloads and cast bullets in it).
With the Extended Magazine has the shooters Hand a full grip on the Beretta Nano?
I saw on YouTube you can NOT dry fire the Beretta Nano nor Pico since their firing pin is prone to brake. Are the internal parts of the Berettas of low Quality?

Has anyone an experience about the Shooting experience, reliability (no FTF, FTE, stovepipes), recoil of the Beretta Nano in 9mm Luger? Please share.
Old November 8, 2016, 07:23 PM   #2
NateKirk

Absolutley not.

Keep the SD9; it's the poor mans Glock 19. It has a greater capacity than the Nano and is more viable as a home defense gun. The Nano's feel awkward due to being so top heavy, and if you are going to get a Pico then just do yourself a favor and get an LCP or M&P Bodyguard.

As you might have assumed, I am not a fan of anything Beretta makes. They're big, heavy, awkward, overly complicated, and have longer heavier, creepier triggers than any of the competition in the same price range. In other words, there are better guns available for the same amount of money.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old November 8, 2016, 07:29 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

All other things being equal, I'd NEVER go to a much smaller gun -- and the NANO is much smaller than the S&W SD9VE -- unless it was to be used for concealed carry.

For home defense a bigger gun is easier to use and handle and probably easier to shoot well.

If I found the trigger of the S&W acceptable, I'd keep it.

If found the trigger unpleasant or unacceptable, and a locak gunsmith can't help (and you're unwilling to send it back to S&W for their assistance -- they can improve the trigger -- I'd look for a good USED gun that is larger. (Either of those choices would probably have a net cost LESS than trading in your S&W or selling it, and buying a NANO.)

Most of the very small 9mm handguns are unpleasant to shoot -- and you must take that into consideration, too.
Old November 8, 2016, 07:38 PM   #4
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Yes I agree the "SD9VE is the poor mans Glock" as is an "12 ga the poor mans rifle" thanks to the Lee 7/8 oz drive key slug.

With These Berettas what is so attractive to me is it's Firing Control Unit which makes the gun modular. I wished other brands would would do that as well for an reasonable Price (SIG is too expensive).

The SD9VE allways works. I use it now exclusively for my relaods and cast bullets. As Shooting experience, recoil and funktionality it is an excellent gun.
But being in Southamerica once the Frame cracks or there is another failure there is no repair nor warranty whatsoever for the SD9VE. I contacted already S&W and they say the Frame is not exchangeable and to send in the gun if it Needs repair but that is not possible since it is as expensive as buying another gun due to customs (if guns could be sent in for repair the black market here would be Overflow from assembled guns of "spare parts" I guess).

So there is no positive experience with the Beretta Nano in 9mm Luger?

The Beretta Pico however I am interested in for concealment carry. Any experiences with the Pico 380 acp?
Old November 8, 2016, 07:48 PM   #5
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Even the SD9VE as factory stock is a bit light for me and barely to shoot. it certainly does not kick but it is snappy with factory ammo.

To improve Shooting experience I put an rail on the gun with an MAG light flashlight and an foldable aluminum foregrip to give more weight to it. Like this: I actually invested quiet a bit in the gun but if something Fails like the Frame I am screwed.
Old November 8, 2016, 08:42 PM   #6
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

My cons and pros for the Beretta Nano vs SD9Ve are as follows: Nano in 9mm Luger and Pico in 380 acp

SD9VE cons:
-plastic Frame is very thin on some parts
-throw away if the plastic Frame Fails
-no Fire Control Unit modality (like SIG and Beretta have)
SD9VE pros:
+slide and Barrel are stainless
+slide and Barrel are very well made (better than any Glock I believe)
+reliable
+fully supported chamber
+no recoil (specially with my "real estate" on)

Beretta Nano/Pico cons:
-maybe unreliable due to limb wrinsting (?)
-recoil (?)
-Nano has not stainless slide and Barrel
-poor grip due to short grip (?)
-uncomfortable to shoot (?)
-maybe Berettas internal aprts are not of great Quality due to not to be able to dry fire the gun (failure of parts according to YouTube Videos) (?)
Beretta Nano/Pico pros:
+Fire Control Unit modularity
+Exchangeable Frame
+Pico has all stainless parts
+Extended Magazine/plate may give a full Hand grip and give large Frame Shooting experience (?)
+Pico is almost as small as the NAA Guardian 380 acp
+ John Moses Browning tilt Barrel System instead of Blowback for the Pico.

Any owners of the Nano or Pico want to express his/her opinion on this list? Specially regards recoil and full Hand grip with the Extended Magazine.
Old November 8, 2016, 08:59 PM   #7
2damnold4this

Take all that crap off your pistol and use the flashlight in your offhand. If you want something heavier, put a light on your shotgun and use that for a home defense gun.
Old November 8, 2016, 09:07 PM   #8
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

I realised already most Internet scientists do not like real estate on an pistol. Since I have small Hands I can not hold reliably and shoot one handed the SD9VE. I allways shoot 2 handed.

But in that case I may as well sell this SD9VE and buy the Beretta Nano 9mm Luger?

Since the Nano can have an Frame with an integrated light. I wonder how durable the light is and which battery it takes.

What about the Nanos recoil and Hand purchase with the Extended mag?
Old November 8, 2016, 09:11 PM   #9
2damnold4this

If you decided to make your S&W SD9 bigger by hanging a bunch of crap on it, why would you think buying a smaller Nano would be a better solution?
Old November 8, 2016, 09:25 PM   #10
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Maybe there is an surprise of better ergonomics with the Nano.
You never know.

That is why I am asking.

Like this the SD9VE is a soft shooter for me.

Considered the Nano weights just a Little less than the SD9VE. So with the Extended Magazine each should, according to the weight, shoot equally snappy and have similar recoil (stock guns).

Have you any other experiences?
Old November 8, 2016, 09:37 PM   #11
Model12Win

Hey OP, you got a stamp to go along with that picture you posted?
Old November 8, 2016, 09:47 PM   #12
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Model 21win,

What do you mean with "got an stamp to go along with the pic"?

You mean date of the Picture? The pic is of very recent date.

The SD9VE Looks so cumbersome since I wanted to turn it into an PDW like the Scorpion Vz 61 in this thread https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=573471
Old November 8, 2016, 10:42 PM   #13
Model12Win

I mean you are commiting a felony by placing a vertical foregrip on a handgun without the proper tax stamp.
Old November 8, 2016, 10:46 PM   #14
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

I knew someone would say this. In the USA yes.

But I am located outside the USA. It is supposed to be perfectly legal were I am located.

Joke: even drugs are here perfectly “legal“ with the corresponding bribe.
Old November 8, 2016, 10:46 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Model 21win,

What do you mean with "got an stamp to go along with the pic"?

You mean date of the Picture? The pic is of very recent date.

He means if you don't, you're going to be spending a few years as a guest of the government in the Gray Bar Motel!!!!

BATF Tax Stamp.
Take that crap off the gun before you get a visit from some nice men in a black SUV!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 8, 2016, 10:49 PM   #16
Model12Win

I apologize, I should have read your screen name more closely. I was just trying to warn you and figured you were in the USA.
Old November 8, 2016, 10:56 PM   #17
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Hey guys.

What about an Sig Sauer P250 instead of the Nano and SD9VE?

The P250 9x19mm seems to have the Firing Control Unit as well.
Old November 8, 2016, 11:31 PM   #18
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
What about the Nanos recoil and Hand purchase with the Extended mag?
You got a HOME DEFENSE gun that is fitted out to function like a small carbine (or assault weapon) and you're talking about replacing it with a with a much smaller gun... and ask about hand purchase and recoil.

Why the focus on such a small weapon? These sub-compact guns sacrifice capacity and size to allow you carry them concealed! The Nano won't let you do any of the things you're doing with your S&W, and even if you can find suitable higher-capacity mags for the NANO, you might NOT be able to find extension pieces that make those mags comfortable or practical to use.

The NANO is a good bit lighter than the S&W (16 oz. vs. 22 oz.) and has a much smaller grip -- so both hand purchase (i.e., your ability to grip it) and felt recoil has to be a problem.
If you haven't shot a sub-compact 9mm, like the NANO (or any of the small 9mm guns), you probably need to shoot a gun of that size before you continue down THAT road.
I've owned and shot a number of these small guns -- Ruger LC9, Kel-Tec PF9, Kel-Tec P11, Kahr P9, Kahr CM9, and several of the smaller .380s (Ruger and Kel-Tec. All of these guns can be brutal to shoot. The Kahr P9 was pleasant to shoot, but it was the largest and heaviest of the bunch.

I've since gotten rid of all of them and kept a Ruger SR9c, a CZ P-07, and a Glock 38 for Carry or Home Defense, and they're all about the size of your S&W, and much more pleasant to shoot than the smaller guns. (I have other guns, as well, but they aren't "carry" guns.)
Old November 8, 2016, 11:39 PM   #19
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Thanks walter sherill

Yes the idea was to outfit the SD9VE as an assault weapon.
But what bothered me allways was the flex of the plastic frame wondering what if it breaks considering the whole real estate on it.

I saw the Sig P250, it is reasonable priced and it's frame can be exchanged as well.
What about the SIG Sauer P250 9mm Luger?
Old November 9, 2016, 01:15 AM   #20
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Yes the idea was to outfit the SD9VE as an assault weapon.
But what bothered me allways was the flex of the plastic frame wondering what if it breaks considering the whole real estate on it.

I saw the Sig P250, it is reasonable priced and it's frame can be exchanged as well.

What about the SIG Sauer P250 9mm Luger?
If flexing or breaking the polymer frame is a concern, why don't you look at an alloy-framed gun? If it's not a CARRY weapon, weight isn't a big issue. That said, I doubt you'll shoot enough or stress the frame of any polymer gun (unless there's a manufacturing defect) to ever have the frame break or tear. They're just not that flexible or fragile. They flex when you shoot them -- which helps make recoil more tolerable -- but they'll lock up firmly for each shot.

Why not look at an alloy-framed gun -- like the Beretta 92 or any number of SIGs? (SIG even offers a frame-like accessory for it's semi-auto P-series guns that is, in fact, a shortened stock. That accessory might be a problem in the US, but it might not be a problem in South America.)

I think you need to get a clear picture, in your mind, of what and how you're going to use the weapon. What you've done with the S&W is almost self-contradiction. Trying to do anything similar with the NANO or the SIG P250 is likely to be a waste. Having a gun with a fire control module that can be used with other frames is an interesting concept, but I suspect it's a greater value to the gunmaker than to the gun user.
Old November 9, 2016, 01:28 AM   #21
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

No. The SD9VE, P250 will not be an carry gun. The Pico 380acp yes.

Disguised carry gun: I almost settled on the Beretta Pico 380 acp as an disguised concealment gun.

Home defense system: If I sell the SD9VE and should buy the Nano this one could be an carry gun as well but is less worth for home defense. So I toss most likely that option.
Should I settle on the SIG P250 I will not put on that any real estate. The P250 stays at home as an defense gun. The Pico gets carried.

Just to sort out all this and clarify things I ask you guys.
Old November 9, 2016, 01:52 AM   #22
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Which grip module should I take with the P250 if I chose that pistol?
The subcompact SMALL or the compact MEDIUM?

For comparison: The grip of the Walther PK380 is fitting me very well. The grip of the SD9VE is a bit big for me.
Old November 9, 2016, 10:29 PM   #23
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

It kind of grows on me the nice P250 but I fear there is too less difference between the SD9VE and the P250 other than that the P250 will cost here about 800 to 1000 US$. That is sinfull expensive.

Maybe I do the deal next year and leave it for now.

As well the P250 would be a too nice gun to shoot and that kind of idols I do not want. As well the gun will be around next year as well I figure (will not run away) and maybe newer guns with the same concept show up.
So then I may get just the Beretta Pico 380 acp since it makes much sense to have that gun allways with me.
I ordered already the Hornady 380 auto die set.
Old November 10, 2016, 04:15 AM   #24
John C

I don't think you need to worry much about the frame of the SD9VE cracking. The basic design of these pistols has been around for 20+ years, and there's no known cracking problem. The same is not true for other S&W models (namely the SW99, especially in .40).

I think you're much more likely to get a new pistol that doesn't work correctly. If your SD9VE works fine, then don't sell it for a pistol that might be a lemon.

If the pistol is too big for you, consider changing that. Can you do a grip reduction on the SD9VE? You're a pretty handy guy.
Old November 10, 2016, 07:34 AM   #25
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Dear all,

Can someone measure with an caliper the trigger reach distance (from back of the gun to the trigger) of the SIG Sauer P250 medium and small frame pistols (FULL size or COMPACT).

The trigger reach of the S&W SD9VE is 2.648".

Thanks in advance for that info.