The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old July 15, 2012, 03:16 AM   #1
Denezin

Building your own class 3 full auto legalities?

My father and i were talking about building your own full auto machine gun. The way he put it to me was its legal as long as you do not take it over state lines. Now if this isnt true i do not want to discuss this topic as for not wanting anyone to be considered conspiring against the us government. but does anyone have a place i can view these laws and regulations or know them enough to discuss them?
Old July 15, 2012, 05:44 AM   #2
Sport45

I'm not sure of the law, but is sounds like a good way to land in prison. The only legal full auto weapons that I'm aware of are those that were in circulation and registered quite a while ago. You can't make a new one unless it's for a law enforcement agency or the military.

I don't think it has anything to do with crossing state lines or even your private property boundaries. Don't do it!
Old July 15, 2012, 05:58 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

Federal law prohibits such, unless you are a registered manufacturer, with a legitimate reason to build it. (I believe the license runs something like $30,000 for 3 years. - But, I could be thinking of a different license.)

North Carolina law considers it to be manufacture of a "Weapon of Mass Death and Destruction". ....and you'll do serious jail time.

Bottom line.... Forget about it.

Edit: You can build all the repeaters (bolt action, pump action, lever action, revolvers, etc) and semi-autos you want. You can build all the single-shots you want. You can build all the black powder firearms you want. But, don't touch full auto. And don't build something that runs the possibility of running full auto with a minor malfunction. And.... certain semi-auto firearms cannot fire from an open bolt.
Old July 15, 2012, 06:36 AM   #4
Denezin

Ah gotcha. i do live in nc and dont plan on breaking any laws, just going about the correct legal way about it if there is one. thanks for the replies
Old July 15, 2012, 11:14 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Since 1986 no "new" full autos have been allowed to be added to the Federal Registry for civilian ownership. This includes old (unregistered) guns recently discovered as well as all new manufactures.

The only limited exception is "dealer samples" and these are not allowed to be sold to private citizens.

Also since your state law seems to prohibit it, there is no LEGAL way to make your own full auto.

Sorry, but until/unless the laws are changed, that's the way it is.

Question asked, and answered. I'm going to close this one.