The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 1, 2005, 12:09 AM   #1
No4Mk1

Help me zero my AR for Highpower

I am getting ready for my first highpower match in a few weeks, and while I know how to "battlesight zero" my AR, I'm not sure if that makes sense as the best way to zero for purposes of competition. I will be shooting at 200, 300, and 600 yards.

Suggestions?

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old February 1, 2005, 07:41 AM   #2
bikenjam

I'm not sure, but i think that "battlesight zero" is at about 200 yards, so you should be good for the standing part. as for 300 - 600 yards, id get a rough estimate from a ballistic program on what you think the velocity is of your bullets, along with the weight and BC. If possible, id try out the measurements that you get at the different ranges and make sure there on and that your sights track well.
Old February 1, 2005, 12:18 PM   #3
30Cal

It won't take long to get zero'd for 200yds. After that, I'd just ask one fo the Master or HighMaster shooters what kind of elevation they need for 300 and 600yds. You'll get as good an answer as you would from a ballistics table--close enough to get you on paper.

For the .30 caliber rifles, it takes 3 clicks when you go to 300yds, and another 12-14 when you go to 600yds. The .223 is probably not far from those numbers.

Ty
Old February 1, 2005, 05:32 PM   #4
IZinterrogator

Did you do the proper battlesight zero at 25 meters? If so, you're good to go at 300. Cranking up the back deck to 600 would be the next step so you can see how far you're off since you're shooting in yards. Once you get the 600 zeroed, the 300 should be off, but not by much. You will have to figure out where to hold at 200.

I hate yards when shooting military rifles. Screws everything up. Why can't they just switch to meters?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old February 1, 2005, 07:14 PM   #5
LegendF1

Are you using standard A2 sights or a "national match" sight? Assuming the latter, first thing's first, we gotta get your mechanical zero. This thread has some good info for establishing your mechanical zero.

Now, very generally speaking, knowing that all rifles and all loads are laws upon themselves, start with one rotation up on your front sight from it's bottomed out setting and 3-4 minutes from bottomed out on your rear sight. This should get you in the black at 200, and if you ever shoot a reduced 100 yard match, you only need to dial down on your rear sight accordingly. There's going to be a little fiddling with this, but you'll be fairly close I think. Then, from your 200 yard zero (which you've noted in a databook...right?), go up 3 minutes from 200 to 300, and up 9 minutes from 300 to 600.
Old February 1, 2005, 11:01 PM   #6
No4Mk1

Great tips guys! Thanks!

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com