The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 21, 2000, 08:59 PM   #1
DaMan

Would like a clay trap that can be operated and used by one person preferably foot control. Can throw singles or doubles. Can be adjusted to throw 25-85yds (singles). And be fairly light and portable (don't want to get a hernia carrying it for about 50yds up a steep hill).

Price not a factor.

Any suggestions?

TIA and regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited September 21, 2000).]
Old September 22, 2000, 07:43 AM   #2
Eric of IN

I've got a Trius One-Step that sounds like what you're looking for. I think it weighs about 20 pounds, throws singles around 60 yards with me doing the stepping. Have trouble getting it to throw farther when the shooter is the one stepping, because putting enough force on the pedal throws me off for the shot. Doubles are thrown by stacking one on the other. I think my parents paid about $100 for it a couple of years ago.
Eric
Old September 22, 2000, 10:44 PM   #3
mib2000

I'll put in a good word for the Trius One Step, too. Sturdily built, clever design that really works. Just step on the "pedal" and those clays go! You can easily adjust the angle and speed of the bird, too. Paid about $50 on sale a year ago at a local sporting goods store, marked down from $75. I expect it'll last a long time, too.

A heck of a lot of fun, even if all you own is a tactical shotgun. It's a hoot nailing clay doubles with an 18" cylinder bore. Must be the ghost rings...

I bet Trius has a Web site. Trying running a search. Have fun,

------------------
Check chamber,
mib2000
Old September 23, 2000, 08:24 PM   #4
DaMan

Thanks, Gents! I found the Trius site. http://www.triustraps.com/triustraps1.html

It looks like the cocking and releasing action are done by pressing down on a peddle.

How do you anchor the trap so it doesn't bounce around?

Regards! DaMan
Old September 24, 2000, 10:44 AM   #5
Eric of IN

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaMan:
It looks like the cocking and releasing action are done by pressing down on a peddle.

How do you anchor the trap so it doesn't bounce around?
[/quote]

The cocking is done by hand, but there is no tension on the spring when you cock it. The foot pedal puts tension on the spring, and then trips the release near the bottom of the travel. The front legs are somewhat pointed, so they tend to dig in fairly well. The back end is secured by the person standing on the pedal. I've never had any trouble with the arrangement, other than it does tend to wander off to the left after several clays. If it wasn't raining, I'd be taking it out this afternoon.
Eric

------------------
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.
Old September 24, 2000, 11:19 AM   #6
DaMan

Eric, thanks for reply. Where I shoot it's pretty sandy (sand pit) I think the trap will "walk around" a bit, but I'll figure out some way to anchor it better (GI tent stakes maybe).

Can you judge fairly accurately when the thing will release?

You also mentioned that putting foot pressure on the peddle tends to leave you in a bit of an unbalanced shooting stance. Is this a problem?

Regards! DaMan
Old September 24, 2000, 05:12 PM   #7
Eric of IN

DaMan,
The release is dependant on a small chain that runs from the foot pedal to the release, so if you hook up the cahin the same way everytime, it will release at the same place in the stroke everytime.

I only have the stability problem if I'm trying to throw the birds a long way. I think it has to do with the fact that I weigh 160 pounds. I have to shift so much of my weight on to the foot working the pedal, I sometimes have trouble keeping my stance stable. My uncle runs closer to 210#, and he has no trouble with it.
Eric
Old September 25, 2000, 09:48 AM   #8
DaMan

Thanks, gents! A Trius One-Step it is!

I really apprecite your recommendations and explanations!

Regards! DaMan
Old October 9, 2000, 02:16 PM   #9
DaMan

I called Trius today. They don't ship directly (only through distributors).

Both BassPro (Cincinnati, OH) and Cabellas (Oshkosh, NE) carry the ST1 Model at $89.99. I ordered mine through Cabela's to save shipping.

Will report on performance later!

Regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited October 09, 2000).]