The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 15, 2010, 11:25 PM   #26
dmazur

Quote:
And when I do I will be loading light loads for 44 mag.
Cautionary note in advance -

H110 (aka W296) has a special instruction to not reduce loads more than 3% (which is different from the typical "reduce 10% and work up") due to erratic velocities with light loads. There are unexplained pressure peaks with these light loads that can cause damage or injury.

As this is one of the most popular powders for the .44 Mag, you should probably be aware of this.

There are "light loads" for the .44 Mag which use other powders.
Old May 16, 2010, 08:54 AM   #27
rodwhaincamo

I am looking for reduced loads with a low muzzle flash. The powders that have been recommended are:
Hogdgon's HS-6, titegroup, universal
Alliant: red dot, unique
Accurate: 5
Ramshot: silhouette, zip
Winchester: W231, WSF
I intend to create Spl loads w/ 350-450 ft+lbs using a 200 grn HP, and a hog load using hard cast bullets starting at 600 ft/lbs and working my way up from there. All loaded in magnum cases.
Old May 20, 2010, 09:19 AM   #28
barhob

hi rodwhaincamo,
get some one to help you get started on the 550.
you cannot learn properly from a manual if you have never reloaded on a single stage. only the end result of a loaded round is the same.

a friend of mine (who is very smart and capable) eventually, still called me to help him after loading hundreds of rounds. he is a long time shooter and hunter for 45 years, but had never reloaded. he made a lot of mistakes on his 550 before he asked for help!!! short list---primer seating, powder dumping, bullet seating, OAL, crimping, lead shaving, etc. oh, and accuracy.

i have the dies for all my pistol calibers (6) in various makes of Lee, RCBS and Hornady and tried them on the 550. they work, only much slower.
i have since purchased all new dies in my calibers from Dillon.
their dies just work better on the 550.

cannot speak on rifle dies. no experience.
do not be afraid to ask for help. i have only known a couple of reloaders that would not help a newbie. most will help.
Old May 20, 2010, 04:14 PM   #29
Volucris

I started with a progressive loading bottleneck rifle cartridges. This **** isn't hard if you know how to read and follow directions. There's no reason to start with a single stage other than cost.
Old May 20, 2010, 05:46 PM   #30
jeepster11

welcome to reloading

its fun and sometimes agrevating at the same time. i started on a lee turret press and then upgraded on to a 550b and i love this press. reloading is so much faster on a progressive but the bad news is no matter how fast you load them you can shoot them faster. good luck with your 550 b
Old May 21, 2010, 03:00 PM   #31
Edward429451

There is all sorts of reasons to start with a single stage other than cost. When trying to learn a new activity, there is always some confusion and greyness about something. A learning curve. Some folks learn faster than others and the simpler the operation, the less confusing it is as a rule. Yay for the single stage press. I realize that for some a progressive is not confusing at all, but for others it very well could be. The tactile learner may experiance a longer learning curve and this is entirely acceptable for safety concerns. The K.I.S.S. principle is sound doctrine.

I started on a single stage press (RC), and then progressed with two additional RL550B's and my single stage gets used just as much still as the 550's.

Since you have a 550...buy the parts kit for it. I know Dillon will send you any part for free but it's worth it to have the part on hand instead of having to wait a couple days for it.

I use both type machines regularly and I observe that loading single stage allows a greater degree on concentration and focus on the round itself, whereas when loading on the 550 an amount of concentration must be given to the machine itself as it cycles.

Anyone will naturally give more attention to a round that it is in a single stage press than a progressive because they have to, theres less to look at! This helps newbs with safety and old hands with quality. It's win/win.

I can't prove that my 7.62 X 51 loaded single stage is better than when I load it on the 550...but I have a slightly greater degree of confidence in ammo that comes off the single stage. I definitly have less rejects from loading single stage.
Old May 22, 2010, 11:43 AM   #32
rodwhaincamo

Edward: Yea, I originally decided to get a single-stage press both for simplicity and cost. As you said, with less to concentrate on there is less room or chance for mistakes.
What is this part kit you refered to?
Thanks,
Bob
Old May 22, 2010, 01:32 PM   #33
alfack

If you only load 1 round at a time on the 550, it is the same as using a single stage, except you don't have to swap out the dies.
Old May 22, 2010, 02:12 PM   #34
Edward429451

Oh the parts kits are about 15 bucks and has an assortment of springs, and primer pick up ends and all sorts of stuff that if a piece is jacked up or lost you don't reload anymore until Dillon shows up at the door. With the kit you back at reloading in <5 minutes.

Nobody's heard of the parts kit because Dillons no BS warranty, thats funny
Old May 23, 2010, 12:08 AM   #35
dmazur

Parts kit for RL550B -

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...pare_Parts_Kit

I had one part fail after several years of use. Dillon sent me a replacement, but it took a few days.

Now that I have a spare parts kit for the 550, I haven't used it...