The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2010, 06:40 PM   #1
chasman

big variances

I just got back into reloading, im reloading 45 colt with Titegroup and 180 200 and 250 grain lead rnfp. I got my chronograph last weekend and headed out to test my 5 different recipes. In each batch the difference between my highest velocity and my lowest is like a few hundred fps. My powder measure seems to be throwing consistent charges cause I will weigh one from time to time while reloading that batch. I have the cowboy dies from rcbs for my rockchucker. Could the crimp be causing such a difference here. This particular die seats and crimps at the same time. I get a little pop or bump in the handle when the crimp is done. Im not sure what im doing wrong any help would be great, thanx charlie
Old May 18, 2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

How far were you from the chronograph? You should be at least 10 feet.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:45 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

With that powder and those bullets, a "few hundred" fps variance is more than the difference between min and max loadings - quite a bit more.

Do you have a lot of experience with your chronograph? Is there any chance you have it too close to the muzzle and are getting inaccurate readings?
Old May 18, 2010, 06:57 PM   #4
chasman

this is the first time Ive ever used one and I was only about 4 or 5 feet from the first eye. Also I have never gone over the max velocity of any load as a matter of fact I havent been able to produce the velocity stated in the book. My readings have all been lower. Which I know is not good either. I would think being to close to the chrony would give me false high reading but im new to this.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
this is the first time Ive ever used one and I was only about 4 or 5 feet from the first eye.
It's very likely that the muzzle blast is causing bad readings. Try again at 10, or better yet, 15 feet. The velocity difference is irrelevant, the reading will be much more accurate.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:00 PM   #6
ScottRiqui

That's probably it - you're likely getting false readings from the sensors picking up muzzle flash, powder particles, etcetera. Move it back to at least ten feet and try again before you worry any more about your loads.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:01 PM   #7
chasman

ok thanx guys ill try again this weekend.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:01 PM   #8
ScottRiqui

Okay Pete - you either read or type faster than I do, and my posts don't seem to add anything to yours, so I'll bow out.
Old May 18, 2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Okay Pete - you either read or type faster than I do, and my posts don't seem to add anything to yours, so I'll bow out.

I just have too much time on my hands!

(Call and order a pizza, would ya? I'm bored!)