The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2005, 05:01 PM   #1
BigSlick

LaserCast 230 RN & Titegroup

Hi guys,

I picked up a box of 230 LRN Laser Cast (Oregon Trail) bullets to try. The price was right and the bullets come highly recommended from one of my shooting buddies.

I called Laser Cast to obtain load data using TG and the lady I spoke with told me my standard bunny fart load (4.7gr 1.260 @ ~760 fps) exceeds their max load published (in-house) data.

Hodgdon lists 230 LRN data as 4.4 min, 4.8 max seated to 1.20.

I know Hodgdon *might* be conservative, detailing safe loads with regard to excess pressure signs etc.., but not necessarily leading.

I have checked other mfr's data and the 4.7gr load falls within published ranges, with most having a much shorter OAL.

Any of you use the Laser Cast 230 LRN with TG ?

I don't *think* the loads I normally use are unsafe, but the Laser Cast people have me wondering if I should reduce the load.

Can anyone give me some first hand info ?

Thanks

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old August 1, 2005, 10:01 PM   #2
MLB44MAG

What Cal. ??? I shoot tightgroup alot .44 mag and spl. 200 gr. lrnfp and Oregon trails 240 Cast SWC , which I have been very happy with no leading what so ever out of my 629 Ive loaded them 240 OT's in mag cases with 5 grains of TG all the way up to 9 grains of TG. I dont how ever like getting over 9 grains of TG as preasures rise quickly with faster powders, and its not worth blownin my gun up for a few extra FPS. Two loads I really like are the 240's from OT (7grains of TG as listed in there manual for a cowboy load , shoots clean and accurate) and the Thumper ( 23.5 grains of H110, which somtimes hurts the hands ) One thing that i have noticed with lead bullets and tightgroup is that the hoter the load it seems to burn and melt the base of the bullet and the way ive come to figure that out is after i fired some of them 240 from OT with 8 and 9 grains of TG is that when i pull the emty case out of the gun theres a little lead ring around mouth of the case Maybe im wrong but ive backed off to 7 grains of TG with the 240's and seems to be working well. The H110 loads how ever work wonderfully with no leading and no signs of melting the base of the bullet. Lazer cast says, if I rember right is that with the wimpier loads that the bullet may not obutrate properly and shoot poorly because of the hardness of there bullet

I hope that helps a little
The Happy Redneck
Old August 1, 2005, 10:42 PM   #3
BigSlick

oooops - 45 ACP
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old August 1, 2005, 11:05 PM   #4
8ring

4.5 grains of Titegroup under a Laser-Cast 230gr. round nose .45acp averaged about 740 feet per second through my S&W 625 revolver with a 5" barrel. Using mixed cases and Federal 150 primers, the extreme spreads were about 60-70 fps.

Titegroup also generates considerable smoke with lead bullets in low and medium pressure applications.

My choice for lead bullets in .45 acp is Winchester Super Target. WST fills the case better, meters well, makes much less smoke, is quieter, has smaller extreme spreads, and has almost no muzzle flash. It also seems to cause less leading than Titegroup, possibly due to a lower nitro content.

If you're looking for more power, many folks recommend Winchester 231, IMR 7625, or Unique for medium velocity loads in .45 acp.

Chris
Old August 7, 2005, 12:57 AM   #5
Gary H

8ring.. thanks

I love TG, but I've had a bear of a time with it leading my guns.

Can't help you to push the 230gr LaserCast. The heaviest TG charge that I've used with this bullet is 4.2gr/738fps
Old August 7, 2005, 11:15 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I suspect the leading issue has to do with peak temperatures. Exposed lead and a hot powder don't go well together.

Thanks to 8ring for the WST feedback. I have yet to try it, but think I will now.

Nick
Old August 7, 2005, 06:26 PM   #7
Peter M. Eick

I agree with Gary, Titegroup "for me" tends to lead a lot. With copper based bullets like JHP's it is an ok powder.