The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 28, 2014, 10:40 PM   #1
new_camper

Used smith model 10 prices

I am looking for a used smith model 10, prefer a heavy barrel. What are the going prices on shooters not showpieces?
Old October 28, 2014, 10:44 PM   #2
WVsig

Dans ammo who is a great seller has model 64s for $299.

http://www.dansammo.com/firearms.asp
Old October 29, 2014, 06:28 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Gun prices are highly regional, and are still being influenced by the now-waning (hopefully) buying panic of the last several years.

In Northern Virginia guns that in 2005 were selling for $215 to $250 are now commanding, and bringing, $400 or more.

As WVSig has shown, the internet can be your friend.

However, you have to add to that price shipping and any fees that your receiving FFL might charge.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 29, 2014, 07:25 AM   #4
sarge83

Look around pawn shops, usually lots of model 10s to be found there. Bought every one I own at a pawn shop. Prices vary depending on condition. I have pencil barreled and heavy barreled 10's and the prices have ranged from $200 to $325. None were what I would consider LNIB or NIB but would qualify fair to good or very good. Best snag was a couple of years ago a good condition model 64 for $230 OTD. Just follow the revolver checkout sticky on this board and you can find some nice specimens out there in pawn shops. In your area prices may be a little more as each region as posted varies.
Old October 29, 2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Entirely dependent on where you live. The best price I ever got on a Smith was a Model 10 for $125 about ten years ago at a local gunshop. Used to be around here you could pick one up for $200 - $250. Those days are long gone, I am usually seeing Model 10s and 38 M&Ps for $450 - $500 these days.
Old October 29, 2014, 03:01 PM   #6
tallball

If you haunt Gunbroker you can eventually find one in good condition for $200 or less. Youjust have to be patient.
Old October 29, 2014, 06:01 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

When you say "Model 10" . . don't disregard the older M & Ps which preceded the model numbers. They are out there and you just have to be diligent in your search.

A couple of years ago, I picked up a 5" M & P made in 1952. I had wanted a 4" but I was able to buy the M & P and a Combat Masterpiece together at the time and I had about a total of $550 in the two.

The 5" M & P is one of my best shooting and most favored 38s and while I'd still like a 4" M & P/Model 10, if I run across one it's fine and if not, that's fine as well as I just love the 5".

If I remember correctly, the M & P was priced at $225 or so - it's been a couple of years. Recently, I went to the same LGS where I bought it as they listed a Model 10 in "good" condition @ $350 and someone had already snatched it up.

Two years ago, I wavered on a 4" Model 10 dash something at a store in Tucson, AZ that was in mint condition - never fired. They ahd $350 on it and at the time, I felt it was overpriced. I've regretted it ever since and if I ahd the opportunity over again, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

As mentioned - geographical area has an affect on the pricing as well. The one thing I've been noticing though in my area is that the prices keep working their way up.

Of you find a good one - it's worth whatever it's worth to you. If I remember correctly, a new Smith Model 10 is around $700 or so . . . . a used vintage Model 10 at say $350 may seem high to some . . . but if you want one bad enough . . . the vintage at maybe what some consider a "higher price" of $350 (as an example) is going to shoot just as well at half the price of a new one.

Good luck in your search!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 29, 2014, 06:42 PM   #8
roaddog28

I brought a M&P 38 special 6 inch for $350 two months ago. It is a shooter grade. That is a good price in California.
Old October 29, 2014, 11:49 PM   #9
Kev

Try This search engine
Www.gunwatcher.com
Old October 30, 2014, 07:29 AM   #10
CajunBass

I bought a 1938 M&P a few weeks ago for just under $300.00 but it was sort of an exception. Unpopular barrel length (6"), slightly worn finish, and rubber grips caused it to set around until they wanted to get rid of it. For the most part they start about $350.00 around here.

A few minutes with some Flitz and a few bucks for a set of period grips turned it around.

before

after

John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 3, 2014, 05:18 AM   #11
pbcaster45

I picked up this near mint Model 10 for a little over $400.

I had the hots for a PPC Revolver and here it is now...

Old November 3, 2014, 01:34 PM   #12
BigJimP

I see a lot of them at local gunshows ....and $ 250 - $ 300 is about the average asking price.../ when they have some wear on them...and most of them do.
Old November 3, 2014, 03:38 PM   #13
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedbugbilly
The one thing I've been noticing though in my area is that the prices keep working their way up.
Your area is not unique; this is true in my area also.

FWIW I've observed a generalized drop in the demand and consequent asking prices for commonplace new handguns, particularly those of the "tactical plastic" variety, but this seems to be having zero effect on vintage Colts and Smiths. Their prices are up, and they seem to be staying there, if not rising further.
Old November 3, 2014, 06:52 PM   #14
amd6547

CajunBass, those 6" barrels may not be popular with some, but those six inch Model 10's are sweet shooters.

I've toyed with the idea of selling my Model 10 and I figure $300 is the going rate for a decent Smith these days.

They just don't make them like that anymore, and probably never will again.
Old November 4, 2014, 01:39 PM   #15
Jeff #111

Here in southwestern Idaho nice used Model 10's seem to average between $350-$400. 38 Spl Colt DA revolvers average about fifty to seventy-five dollars more.It varies. Personally I like the 5" models, but they aren't real common around here.