The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 26, 2009, 09:01 PM   #1
wiseguyru

TC Maxi-hunter bullet

I have several Hawken 50 cal. rifles I built out of parts that I bought here and there. I have green mountain barrels with 1:28 twist. Will I be able to shoot the TC Maxi-hunter 370gr with a 100gr charge of blackpowder?
Old November 26, 2009, 09:41 PM   #2
shortwave

You can try but I kinda doubt it. They fly great out of my 1x48`s but don`t fly well out of either of the 1x28`s.
Old November 26, 2009, 10:32 PM   #3
wiseguyru

TC Maxi

Thank you Shortwave for your reply. I thought the faster the twist the better the bullet would preform.
Old November 27, 2009, 05:42 AM   #4
shortwave

If memory serves me correctly, I had trouble with keyholeing/bad grouping shooting them many years ago out of my Rem. Tried them in a Traditions 1x28, with same results. I often wondered if maybe to much 'blow by' was the problem cause when I shot the Powerbelts of same wieght, Powerbelts shot much flatter but not for sure. Also you would think if barrel would shoot Powerbelts it would shoot Maxi Hunters but that just wasn`t the case. Have never shot them out of the Omega or Encore. The Rem. shoots Powerbelts very accurately but the Encore doesn`t, both 1x28 . Out of Thompson /Hawkins, 1x48 the Maxi`s flew great. Best advice I can give is try them as your Green Mountain barrel may like them. Also with your 1x28 barrel why not try sabots or Powerbelts?

Last edited by shortwave; November 27, 2009 at 05:58 AM.