The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 17, 2004, 04:51 PM   #1
J. Scott

Time to replace the barrel on my AR

It's the damndist thing really. I bought a Buhsmaster varminter in Jun 03 and done a bit of shooting with it, about 3,500 rounds. In Jul 04 I got my reloading press figured I'd make some sweet loads, so I measured the throat for the different bullets I would be using. All was happy until last week when I measured again +.0315" (reloaded @ 1,300 rounds since July) so I called Bushy (They always answer the phone ) the engineer said yep the end is near, the varminter barrels dont last as long as their not chromed so as to hold tighter tolerances. The groups using regular leangth ammo has opened up to 1-1/2" @ 100 yds. But hand loads spaced back .005" still make 1 hole @ 100 yds (bench fr/rr bags). Anyway I will be looking for a new barrel and I'm looking for suggestions, should I stay with 24" or drop to 20" looking for good quality.

All help is welcome. Thanks JS
Old October 17, 2004, 05:14 PM   #2
springfieldmaniac

Seems like that barrel didn't last long with a non-magnum caliber.Maybe you should go with a chrome lined barrel for replacement.
Old October 18, 2004, 05:32 PM   #3
J. Scott

I thought about a chrome lined barrel but I don't want to give up the accuracy of a non chromed bbl. I do entertain the idea of stainless, it wont last any longer but it will be easier to clean.